THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USMCKoontz

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Anyways I am Tired of having to select from the small stores here close to me (Outside of Sweet Baby Rays and a local brand called Swamp Sauce) I am tired of store bought.. So I am diving into getting some sauces from Teams, and Joints around the US to try out :)

I know making sauces if always fun :) but I would love to try sauces that I would not be able to without traveling.. So I would love some recommendations. Heres what I have on my list so far...

Dinosaur BBQ
Oklahoma Joes
Arthur Bryants

Any BBQ Joints or Comp teams you recommend I order from? Looking to grab about 10 sauces tonight from the world wide web :)

Many teams do have their own sauce brand, but it may not be their own recipe. Some teams simply use and sell a commercial sauce that is merely privately labeled. Many teams do have their own recipe, but after you sample many of them you will see what I am referring to.

Why don't you go to the trading post forum and join the trade round? You are paired with someone from somewhere else in the country and you trade sauces and rubs. It's a great way to sample different sauces from around the country you would not ordinarily be able to get locally. You find some great items to try, while all are not great, they are good and you get to expand your horizons of sauces and rubs.

I would add to your list to try:
Texas - Texas (Good to the Bone and Bock)
Salt Lick
Head Country
Blues Hog
Franklin's
Butch's Sweet and Spicy

and if you like really hot - try Butch's SuperPyro BBQ Sauce. It's Very Very Hot, beyond Belief.

I'm a HUGE fan of Pitmaster BBQ Sauce from Rooftop BBQ (now branded under Green Mountain Grills). Andy Allen from Rooftop is a member here as well :thumb:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Sauce-Green-Mountain-Grills/dp/B00DJU2AGA"]Amazon.com : BBQ Pitmaster Sauce By Green Mountain Grills : Barbecue Sauces : Grocery & Gourmet Food@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Up4XCUQ6L.@@AMEPARAM@@31Up4XCUQ6L[/ame]

Many teams do have their own sauce brand, but it may not be their own recipe. Some teams simply use and sell a commercial sauce that is merely privately labeled. Many teams do have their own recipe, but after you sample many of them you will see what I am referring to.

Why don't you go to the trading post forum and join the trade round? You are paired with someone from somewhere else in the country and you trade sauces and rubs. It's a great way to sample different sauces from around the country you would not ordinarily be able to get locally. You find some great items to try, while all are not great, they are good and you get to expand your horizons of sauces and rubs.

I would add to your list to try:
Texas - Texas (Good to the Bone and Bock)
Salt Lick
Head Country
Blues Hog
Franklin's
Butch's Sweet and Spicy

and if you like really hot - try Butch's SuperPyro BBQ Sauce. It's Very Very Hot, beyond Belief.

When you say Franklin's Do you mean that Franklin from Austin, TX?

Stay away from the Arthur Bryant's. Ketchup is better. I'm not a fan of Oklahoma Joe's either. Most of the sauces from big franchise restaurants are bland as to not offend the ignorant. I would buy Famous Dave's over either of those two.

BBs Lawnside BBQ in KC has a good vinegar-based sauce. Don't know if they ship, but I actually drive to KC just to get a case of sauce occasionally. It's great on pulled pork. It comes in a mason jar, but they said something about gallon jugs too. May have to try that next time. I had a recipe for it around here too, if I can find it.

Living in the KC area most of my life I have tried lots of different local sauces and rubs. Oklahoma Joe's is good, they have a line of sauces and rubs under the name Kansas City's Cowtown and they are very good. If you like hot, the Night of the living Bar-BQ sauce is good. I use their rubs all the time. Aurthur Bryants BBQ is a little over rated but I think the rubs they sell are pretty good.
Hillsdale Bank and BBQ
Gates
Smokin Guns
Jack Stack
L.C.'s
K.C. Rib Doctor is a great rub also

+1 for Head Country Original (KC style sauce with smoke flavorings)
+1 for Blues Hog Original (VERY sweet, probably mix with something else, but very unique flavor and very good on ribs particularly)
also try Blues Hog Tennessee Red (vinegar sauce, Lexington style)

If you need/want anything that can be had locally in KC let me know and I can pick what you want up and send it out to ya. Just do paypal or something. If your intersted PM me and we can go from there.

For what its worth I like Bryants on Bryants BBQ but not much else. It has a very distinct taste to it. Very runny and almost grainy?

+1 for Head Country Original (KC style sauce with smoke flavorings)
+1 for Blues Hog Original (VERY sweet, probably mix with something else, but very unique flavor and very good on ribs particularly)
also try Blues Hog Tennessee Red (vinegar sauce, Lexington style)

Came here to add the Tennessee Red to the list. So +2 for Blues Hog all around.

Also, Memphis' Bar-B-Q Shop's Dancing Pig sauce is pretty good.

Couple more that weren't mentioned. I haven't tried them but have a bottle of each swamp boys(Rub) and Bob from the guru has a sauce.

i've ordered a bunch of sauces, most of which i liked, i didn't care for Arthur Bryants. if yer gunna try Big Bob Gibson sauces i'd suggest trying their rub too, it's pretty good, i also liked their habanero sauce. also try Magic Dust from 17th Street BBQ along with their sauce, it's Mike Mills' recipe. The Salt Lick sauce is also very good, i haven't tried their rub yet though.

Back