THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

unzippy

Full Fledged Farker
Hello all
I'm a keen bbq-er from London, England.

I'm after your collective advice for the charcoal setup in a Weber kettle for an overnight cook of a pork shoulder for the creation of pulled pork.

I've successfully done it before during the day adding a few extra briquettes every hour or so, but now want to try over night.

Minion seems only really suitable for smokers, will it work in a kettle given I'm cooking indirect and won't have a lot of space?
Snake method?
Some other that I'm unaware of?

Thanks in advance, Dave

I have set up a ring of charcoal around a cast iron skillet in the past (idea courtesy of landarc) and it ran for hours while cooking a brisket flat.

I'll post the link if I can find it or you can search below.

I've used this set-up and gotten 10-12 hour burns with it.
Brisket3003_zps5fe11dbb.jpg

Have fun!

KC

Thanks for the replies :icon_bigsmil

Code3rrt, what was the purpose of the brick in the middle?

I do some like that, so I can use a drip pan that is a little bigger. The four corners of a rectangular drip pan can hang over the charcoal, if you sit it up on a brick. (Or inverted pie pan........or cast iron skillet.......)

I used the "snake" method last weekend. I used 2 briquets wide by 2 briquets deep, with a gap between the ends about like the one in code3's picture. I left the top vent all the way open (but one hole is blocked by my thermometer.) and the bottom vent about 25% open. It held around 275 (at the top of the lid.) for 11 hours.

Great pic - don't even need a description of what to do, Code3rrt!
Small things like that are a big help to us newer folks. Thanks - yet
another reason this is such a great place to come for advice....
jb

I'm cooking a 9.5 lb packer brisket (after trimming) in my kettle as I type. My charcoal setup looks almost identical to code3rrt's, only I got mine burning clockwise lol.

7 hours in, and the ring is about 2/3rds burned, but I've been trying to keep it up between 275-300, so it's burning a bit faster than if I were keeping it down around 230-250.

I'm confident the brisket will be done before the coals burn out. It's truly set and forget though.

Back