THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yoel Keren

Got rid of the matchlight.
BBQ newbie here, looking to improve my pulled beef. A buddy and I have been smoking a few beef shoulders for pulled beef and we're ending up a bit dry. It seems like it always comes out semi-moist, but not juicy.

We've done everything we can think of to increase moisture levels.

I'd like to show the Brethren my process and you tell me if I've got something wrong.

Here in Israel, they take the clod and break it up into 3 pieces. They usually come out 6-7.5 pounds.

I slather on yellow mustard, then rub with kosher salt and CBP, and let refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, when my pit is up to temp and my smoke has thinned out, I inject. I like beef broth and apple cider vinegar. Sometimes I use cola and vinegar.

I cook at 250-265 and the cook usually takes around 11 hours. I also use a big water pan.

At around 155-160 internal, I put the shoulder in an aluminum pan and seal it tight with foil. I also add some of my injection to the pan.

From this point on, I don't take temps. I let it go for an hour then probe for tenderness. Usually parts of the shoulder will be like butter, while one area will still give a bit of resistance. I start checking about every 20 minutes from this point onward.

When every part of the shoulder is probe tender I take it out of the pit, wrap in plastic wrap, and then wrap in a towel to rest.

I take my au jus and put it in the freezer so I can de-fat it.

Once my meat has rested, I pull it. Most of the beef shoulder videos I've seen, show a juicy, pinkish grey meat(I hope everybody knows what I'm talking about) with smoke ring and bark.

I usually end up with an awesome bark and smoke ring, and somewhat moist, but grey meat. When I pull the meat, it's not that pinkish grey color and there's no awesome juice oozing out. When I do brisket, beef ribs, lamb ribs, etc. they come out great, but those are fattier cuts.

When I add my au jus to the pulled beef it smells and tastes great. Maybe I'm over thinking it? Maybe this is okay? I just want my Q to be all it can be.

Any advice?

It sounds like your technique is great. Maybe the cut of meat is the problem?

Change your injection! Beef stock & vinegar will not increase the moisture level. Adding a watery substance is a waste of time as the meat heats up it tightens up forcing out the water, acidic mixtures will break down the cell structure releasing even more moisture. You already know the problem lack of intramuscular fat. Inject the Clod with canola oil. It works quite well to over come the problem you described. It replicates an old cooking technique called larding. Where lard or suet was injected with a special needle called a "Larding Needle" into lean cuts especially on Venison to overcome the same problem. As the meat heats up the fat thins out and mixes with the collagen making it moist & juicy.

I cannot see why one would want to inject with canola oil. I agree wholeheartedly with the logic. I would warm beef dripping and inject with that. I can buy Waghu dripping (lard) and would imagine that would be awesome. Goose or duck fat would add moisture and flavour.

Or along the same lines as the smart guys already suggested maybe inject with butter or one of the pre-made butter-style injection marinades like Tony Cachchere's.

Back