Beef Satay and Bacon Fried Rice

Looks great Matt!
I bought the Wok from the link you sent me a while back. Just haven't used it yet. I need to buy a wok cook book. No clue where to begin.
You make it look so easy!

Thanks, Sam!

I really wish I could point you toward a good cookbook, but I actually don't own a single cookbook on wok cooking.. Hell, I may be doing it all wrong. Buccs or Landarc can probably point you toward a good book I would guess. ChicagoKP might has some suggestions too.

I say just pick a recipe you want to try and go for it. I started learning by just studying/picking different recipes online that I wanted to learn.. Most wok cooking is pretty similar. Think of making a soup or a sauce. The process is very similar, just much faster. You want to cook everything in one pot at one time, but the ingredients all take different amounts of time to reach completion so you need to cook them in a certain order to have them all finish together.

Get your wok blazing hot. Add a little peanut oil to coat (don't use veg or canola, you want the higher smoke point, avocado is ok too) Start with the meat. Get it nice and charred up. In most cases you will empty the wok and set the meat aside so it doesn't overcook. Now you will basically line up all your ingredients in the order of how long they take to cook. Onions, peppers, carrots, broccoli etc, throw em in, they take the longest. When they are almost where you want them, throw in your garlic, chilis etc. If you start with garlic, it can get burned. I wait till the veggies are softened.. . toss for a minute or so, then add your next round.. Mushrooms? Anything else that will cook quickly but needs a minute or two. You can add the meat back in now too.. If you are doing noodles or rice, this is the time to add them. (If not, skip to the sauce) I will push all the veggies etc to side and try to cover the bottom of the wok with the noodles or rice and let them get browned for a minute or 2. incorporate the veggies into the rice or noodles. let it cook a few minutes more, with minimal stirring. Let it sit in the wok and get a little crispy on the bottom . Next is Sauce - I Always wait until the last couple minutes to add my sauces. You will not get any nice char from the wok if everything is swimming in sauce. Add the sauce, toss to incorporate, cook for a minute. Lastly, add the things that really don't need more than a little warmth.. Basil leaves, bean sprouts, tomatoes, frozen veggies like peas, etc etc. toss them in and serve immediately. Hope this helps?

Nice. I'm diggin the use of the wok ring. Looks like I'll be adding a wok and ring to the BBQ arsenal.

ooodang that looks awesome. i was thinking of trying something similar with the shaved CAB ribeye they sell at Meijer.

looks great!...and the "flip" pic was awesome!...gotta good laugh out of the line: "My best ideas do not usually happen while drinking."....I can relate!

Back