Beef Flanken Cut Short Ribs vs Boneless Western Style Chuck Ribs

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
We are having some form of beef shorts for Christmas dinner, braised and finished on the grill.

I can buy English cut bone in at Whole Foods or Beef Chuck Boneless ribs (not ribs at all) at Kroger.

Any opinions which will be better in a braise? My guess is they'd be pretty similar.

Last edited:
If you have a Mexican grocery near you check them for the flanken cuts. Will be a lot cheaper than Whole Paycheck. As far as which is better, do both and report back. (You had to see that coming...)

The flanken cuts I just grill, they're so thin, I never even thought to braise them. Google Tablitas.

Here's the ones I grilled for Thanksgiving:

7uNJURTl.jpg

I mistakenly called them flanken They're really English cut with a couple or three inches of bone.

The dish turned out fantastic, but was too cold to grill - it was colder here in Cincinnati than my relatives were up in Canada.

But the boneless chuck westerns were maybe better than English cut short ribs. Gravy had a lot less fat in it but was still silky and glossy. And the westerns were half the cost.

Here is the recipe we used.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/red-wine-braised-short-ribs

133052352_10158787100386341_2880601094621365484_n.jpg

Looks awesome! Beautiful place settings I've had flaken cut. Not familiar with English cut, learn something new every time around here :-D

Back