BBQ Newbie...here to make some like minded friends....

Although you can do hi-temp pork butt cooks, I prefer 225 - 250 range, for 12+ hours, till 203 IT range and probe tender. Some have gone as long as 16 hours, for me.

So, I'm new here, but not new to BBQ. I started out smoking Boston butts, and I always recommend starting with them if you are new to BBQ. Pork shoulders are very forgiving, and have a meat thermometer built in (if you buy a bone in). Chicken is a little cheaper, but getting the skin done correctly can be challenging. The main thing is to BBQ what you like to eat, and learn from mistakes.

I buy pork shoulders from Sam's club all the time, and have been really happy with the results. In fact, I'm getting ready to buy a case of pork shoulders from Sam's club in the near future. You can find case sales on thier website.

I have only used a WSM a couple times, and that was years ago, so I don't have any real tips on running the WSM. You might want to look into getting a temperature controlling device like a BBQ Guru if you want to leave it unattended for awhile. Or you can smoke it for about 4 hrs, and then finish it in the oven. I would recommend getting a disposable pan if you are going to finish it in the oven.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Back