Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Sooty

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • In Between

Votes: 58 61.7%
  • What?

Votes: 14 14.9%

• Total voters
I don't mind a little "patina". Probably cause I'm a little lazy when it comes to the cleaning aspect sometimes. Patina, seasoning, what's the difference.

Smoker with "patina" now on Facebook....

yNg3uJN.jpg

JkMpT5m.jpg

$750 Lang
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/810593869551653/

I'm the guy who has cleaning ladies, but mops and cleans in between their visits.

My garage floor (which is coated) is mopped weekly.

Just to give you an idea of how much I like things to be clean.

All that said, I'm not obsessive about my cookers. Yes, the exterior of my grills are wiped regularly. Even if I'm not cooking on them, I clean my patio area weekly (at least). I use it every night for drinks and cigars, if not BBQ.... so I like my living space to be clean even if outdoors. The cookers are part of that, I can enjoy a view of them from my favorite cigar smoking/movie watching/bourbon drinking chair.

However, yes my grates get brushed after each cook, and yes I empty the ash from the Weber, and yes I foil the drip tray in my Rec Tec and swap out the foil every few cooks.

That's about it, though. The back of the Rec Tec's stainless body is stained/patina'ed from smoke, and IMO it's supposed to look like that.

I'm not obsessive about keeping the outside clean. I live on a farm and it's windy here about 98% of the time so keeping anything clean is about impossible. I will wipe down the outside occasionally to get the dust and dirt off.

I hate rust though and unfortunately most of my steel cookers have rust because it's pretty humid here and rains pretty often. Even after sanding and repainting, the rust comes back pretty quick. I guess I need to get something in stainless steel and be done with it.

Having shiny bbq looks good for a picture, but I personally prefer them a little burnt and sooty.

Back