THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jimmy that would be a sad day for FBA. Your work, along with the other FBA leadership, has not gone unnoticed. Your groups constant attention to detail has helped make FBA a well respected sanctioning body. You and your counterparts are a big part of its success and should not allow conjecture to trump truth. As long as you are confident in yourself NO ONE can question your integrity.

As for the thread starter, chainsmoker. I think you inadvertently hit on a subject that has reared its ugly head before and were the recipient of some nasty fodder. I wouldn't let it get to you or think that anyone is going to think differently of you. We are all good people and very passionate about our sport. Your thread could be taken a few ways and it seems the worse way was the victor. Keep keeping on and you will see the wonderful side of the Brethren too. Oh and if you don't take these great people up on their invite you are really missing out. All it took was one friendly person at our first BBQ comp to make us lifers. These are the people you've always wished existed. No where in the world will you find a nice group of real down to earth and giving people. They are the brothers and sisters and cousins you wished you had at home. Once you are in you are family. Am I right folks?

Skip u need a hug or are u just on that fire water you guys drink...

Been here done that a few years now and I appreciate the fellowship and thats why i take the time to pour it out on the table here..
Thanks buddy

If all of the things that everyone has said about any anonymity holds true why is there a rule about the judges staying away from teams? if the blind judging serves to keep sponsors, directors and organizers anonymous, why doesn't it work for the team a judge had breakfast with?

Great point!

Always wondered that myself.

Jimmy that would be a sad day for FBA. Your work, along with the other FBA leadership, has not gone unnoticed. Your groups constant attention to detail has helped make FBA a well respected sanctioning body. You and your counterparts are a big part of its success and should not allow conjecture to trump truth. As long as you are confident in yourself NO ONE can question your integrity.

As for the thread starter, chainsmoker. I think you inadvertently hit on a subject that has reared its ugly head before and were the recipient of some nasty fodder. I wouldn't let it get to you or think that anyone is going to think differently of you. We are all good people and very passionate about our sport. Your thread could be taken a few ways and it seems the worse way was the victor. Keep keeping on and you will see the wonderful side of the Brethren too. Oh and if you don't take these great people up on their invite you are really missing out. All it took was one friendly person at our first BBQ comp to make us lifers. These are the people you've always wished existed. No where in the world will you find a nice group of real down to earth and giving people. They are the brothers and sisters and cousins you wished you had at home. Once you are in you are family. Am I right folks?

Dont know you Skip...but well said.

The people in the FBA are the reason we will continue to be a member.

Interesting thread.
I only have one thing to say:
Tell ya what-- come up to Elba, AL the same weekend and you can hang with me all weekend. TIM
Chainsmoker, you need to take this man up on his offer. You will not be disappointed. Kapn will treat you like he's known you his whole life. You'll have a great weekend and learn a lot about competition Q.

Conflict because you organize and compete. Well let me see, I spent a year and a lot of time and money on my local KCBS competition. I paid the $200 entry fee. On the organizational committee I am considered the team liaison. I make sure the team's interests are considered in planning and I make sure teams are happy and get what they need to compete. I don't work with or help with judges. I think if I wanted to take advantage of my position I would have arranged to do better than 40 out of 43. In 8 years I have not meet a team that would not do everything they could to help another. Conspiracies be dammed!:p:p:p

Try cooking sometime in Texas !!! I'm getting downright sick of it sometimes.

I'll tell you what a conflict of interest is. It's when people who organize the cook-off's go out to the teams that are cooking and try to recruit people for judges.

I've seen people cooking side by side with a head cook all night long only to be approached the next day by someone in charge, due to the fact that they open the judging up to the public and need more judges to sit on tables.

I've also seen contest officials call winners by name instead of by ticket number when they are doing the awards. In Texas they tape a ticket to the top of the turn in-box for each category and you pull off the stub. When they do the awards they call your ticket number to match the winning ticket. How in the world would they know in advance who's won a particular category if they don't even call the ticket number. Sometimes though they do. How do you explain that one.

I wish a sanctioning body in Texas would follow some of the ideas that the KCBS uses. I'm not as familiar with the FBA however I know it's ran by some great people from what I have heard.

I do it and stay with it honestly because of the friends I've made. I've also got a very competitive spirit so I would be lying if I didn't say I'm also in it for the fun. I just wish those who feel the need to cheat would get the hell out of our sport and let those of us who love it throwdown with one another.

All it took was one friendly person at our first BBQ comp to make us lifers. These are the people you've always wished existed. No where in the world will you find a nice group of real down to earth and giving people. They are the brothers and sisters and cousins you wished you had at home. Once you are in you are family. Am I right folks?

I can attest to the fact that I have family all over the country now... Heck, Julie even made the extra stop and took me by the DMV on the way to the airport Friday Morning after Sayville. :rolleyes:

And I know you farkers all have me pegged as a New Yawk resident now... BUT, I know if was in TX, WI, IL, MI, FL, AZ, CO, LA, you name it.... I could get all the help I needed/wanted with a phone call, too. It is a big family. And with the world the way it is today, there isnt anything better to model to my kiddos than that. They have friends all over the country, and love alot of thier "uncles and aunts".

They were bummed at the Royal they didnt get to see Jorge (actually, Kaylin just wants his Mustang :shock: ) And then the last time we went to NY without them, they were asking about friends and if Sean was going to have his Dogs there. :p They couldnt understand why we wern't buying them plane tickets to come along (it's their family too, afterall) It doesnt get much better than that folks.

Wow been gone for a few days, missed alot..
Judging and occasionally cooking in Iowa you run into the President of KCBS quite a bit. Sometimes he's repping, sometimes he's competing and vending.
I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone who would for a minute doubt his
integrety either as a cook or the head of KCBS.
Of course, If you'd like you could broach the subject with him...... but let me know in advance (I'd like to see it!).
ModelMaker

I've only perused this thread but I can't help but to think of the various board members who have cooked in the past and have fared like a number of the rest of us ... sometimes closer to the top - sometimes closer to the bottom. The board members that I can think of that have been more successful then not ... they seem to be rather top-notch cooks and do well even when they are competing outside of their own sanctioning body.

I can attest to the fact that I have family all over the country now... Heck, Julie even made the extra stop and took me by the DMV on the way to the airport Friday Morning after Sayville. :rolleyes:

And I know you farkers all have me pegged as a New Yawk resident now... BUT, I know if was in TX, WI, IL, MI, FL, AZ, CO, LA, you name it.... I could get all the help I needed/wanted with a phone call, too. It is a big family. And with the world the way it is today, there isnt anything better to model to my kiddos than that. They have friends all over the country, and love alot of thier "uncles and aunts".

They were bummed at the Royal they didnt get to see Jorge (actually, Kaylin just wants his Mustang :shock: ) And then the last time we went to NY without them, they were asking about friends and if Sean was going to have his Dogs there. :p They couldnt understand why we wern't buying them plane tickets to come along (it's their family too, afterall) It doesnt get much better than that folks.

Uh, you forgot Oklahoma...

As for the thread starter, chainsmoker. I think you inadvertently hit on a subject that has reared its ugly head before and were the recipient of some nasty fodder. I wouldn't let it get to you or think that anyone is going to think differently of you. We are all good people and very passionate about our sport. Your thread could be taken a few ways and it seems the worse way was the victor. Keep keeping on and you will see the wonderful side of the Brethren too. Oh and if you don't take these great people up on their invite you are really missing out. All it took was one friendly person at our first BBQ comp to make us lifers. These are the people you've always wished existed. No where in the world will you find a nice group of real down to earth and giving people. They are the brothers and sisters and cousins you wished you had at home. Once you are in you are family. Am I right folks? [/QUOTE]

Right you are Skip! :p Since I started BBQ'n I have met some outstanding people and have formed some life long friendships as well. I believe anyone would be hard pressed in any corner of the BBQ nation to find folks that go out of their way to deceive and cheat during comps. I have never seen it up here in our corner of the country...yet. I'm sure it happens...but I'd bet a dollar to a dime not very often!

At first I responded to this thread as a joke...thinking it was just a lambasting...but once you get in to it I realized it was a simple misunderstanding blown a bit out of proportion. My hats off to y'all for taking the time to explain...please excuse my previous idiotic response! :icon_blush:

JD

Back