THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well, it seems this is the fourth "open" category in a row. That must be a record! So, here goes nothing. Actually, my go-to would probably be steak or ribs, but I told myself I would never enter steak or ribs in another TD. This is almost as bad for me, but has absolutely no chance of winning, so I don't feel bad about entering it... and if I get lucky, it might net me a zero. :thumb:

So, I start off with one of these:

IMG_0025.jpg

It's a side of salmon about 3.5 pounds, boned, and skinned, straight from Costco. I season it with Lawry's, fresh black pepper and lots of parsley in case Moose decides he's going to stop by.

I toss it on the Oval with a bit of cherry. Temp is about 400*. I shoot for 2.5-3 minutes per side for medium rare. Here is the first side:

IMG_0026.jpg

I use two flippers to flip (I do this about every week, so I get lots of practice):

IMG_0027.jpg

and this is the other side:

IMG_0028.jpg

Here it is plated:

IMG_0031.jpg

and here is a close-up:

IMG_0035.jpg

And did I say this was an official entry? It doesn't matter either way. And Chris, use any one of the above photos that you think is tastiest, even if it's the sushi at the top (or whichever one that Al copies in his upcoming post that he says looks delicious -- note there are no salad pics :becky:).

Incidentally, we've cooked a lot of salmon and I've done it just about every way imaginable with just about every spice combination (yes, even Foil Hat). This gets the best reviews and it is by far the easiest. You simply can't fark it up. That probably is why I would consider this a "go-to" meal.

Well, I haven't been around much lately, so I thought I'd go ahead and enter one of these TDs. To be the odd one out, I thought I'd do something different and tell everyone that my "Go-to meal" is smoked salmon. :heh: Like that would be anyone's go-to meal, but hey, I do this almost every week. It probably is! So, this is the warm-smoked salmon recipe I use. I begin with some brown sugar (about 4/3 cup) and kosher salt (about 1/3 cup) -- that's a 4:1 ratio for those in the upper level math class.

IMG_0005.jpg

I use the farm-raised salmon at Costco. I've used the expensive stuff and the family really prefers the farm-raised. I usually slice the side in fourths, but sometimes fifths. And I try to avoid the mess and spread out some of that sugar in a plastic bag and set that in a cake pan.

IMG_0006.jpg

I lay those salmon slices in there and cover them up with the brown sugar and salt mixture:

IMG_0022.jpg

I then wrap that up and put the open end of the bag outside the pan -- this keeps the juices in the bag so they don't make a mess.

IMG_0023.jpg

I put that in the fridge overnight and weight that down with anything handy. The primary weight is a container of cheese and a few other items:

IMG_0024.jpg

That usually takes me all of 10 minutes to prepare, including clean-up and I do this the night before. Next day when I get home from work, I light up the Oval with a big chunk of cherry. I try to let it settle between 150 - 200*. I don't like it to go above 200* or you have cooked salmon:

IMG_0047.jpg

I pull that salmon out of the fridge and rinse off the individual pieces.

IMG_0042.jpg

Look at all the juice in there; get Bigabyte a straw, quick!

I dry the pieces off and set them out on a frog mat for a half hour or so

IMG_0043.jpg

then I'll dress them. We prefer either a coating of sesame seed oil and sesame seeds

IMG_0044.jpg

or maple sugar and fresh ground pepper

IMG_0045.jpg

Into the smoke they go for 2-4 hours

IMG_0048.jpg

We bring them up above 145* IT, sometimes even as high as 160*. It seems pretty foolproof, which is what I need. Anyway, here is the final product.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

This goes in the fridge and is our breakfast food. It's great on bagels. And you can pick any ol' zero your heart desires for the TD pic. You can even grab the one that Al says looks delicious! That's a novel idea!

Last edited:
Back