BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Around the World"

This is my first official throwdown entry. Korean beef ribs:biggrin:
KoreanRibs008.jpg

Oh boy, it looks like you and me are on the same wavelength..... I started marinating some short ribs last night. I borke out the cleaver to get in the mood.

DSC07965a.jpg

DSC07970a.jpg

By the look of things already this is gonna be a real tuff throwdown..everybodys food looks fantastic...and I luv red cabbage yummmmmmm!!

Thanks for the kind words dudes.
Brisket Bob, here is the basic kielbasa recipe I used to stuff the kielbasa. My family has eaten fresh garlic kielbasa at Easter for as long as I can remember. Usually it comes from one of the butchers at the West Side Market in Cleveland, but this year I decided to make it myself. It was great and I froze quite a bit extra. I don’t remember where I got the base recipe from, it’s not mine originally, although when I made mine I tested and tweaked quite a bit.

4 teaspoon coarse (kosher) salt
2 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
1 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
1 teaspoon dried savory, crumbled
6 cloves finely minced garlic
1/3 c ice water
3 lbs well marbled pork shoulder coarsely ground
I make the cabbage a lot simpler than a lot of people do. I slice it and put it in a covered pan with a cup of water and let it steam for 20 min. Then I add about ¾ a cup of cider vinegar, some butter and a little more than a tablespoon of sugar. Mix it up and let it simmer till the liquid is absorbed or evaporated. A lot of people use a lot more seasoning, but I think it can get heavy and overpowering quick….eastern European and German meals can be heavy to begin with, so I make my cabbage with the dish it will accompany in mind.

Thanks for the recipe. HUGE GARLIC LOVER HERE!! I will be putting my grinder and stuffer to work on your recipe ASAP. Thanks again.

Man, this tread is off a KILLER start. I'm so hungry.:sad:

Planning my 1st trip of the year to the West Side Market this Monday! Love that place but always come away with a huge hole in Mr. Wallet.

Ahi Tuna entry

I used two different recipes for my tuna. One is a sesame crusted grilled tuna with a asian sauce consisting of green peppers, soy sauce with a side of white rice. #2 is tuna grilled with evoo, then a tomatillo green chile relish. The relish had tomatillos, japs, cilantro and lime juice with the sides being spanish rice and pinto beans. Decided to make a quick appetizer of chinese bbq. Went to the local asian market and picked up the powder that you add water to and marinaded the pork in it for a few hours. Here's my pron and use the second pic for the throwdown please.

Last edited:
Here's my entry..."Tuscan Flank Steak"...:p

Tuscan EVOO and Seasonings...

IMG_7292.jpg

Scored and rubbed...

IMG_7282.jpg

Marinating...

IMG_7283.jpg

Hot off the grill...

IMG_7289.jpg

IMG_7290.jpg

The money shot...:p

IMG_7291.jpg

Seriously now...this didn't suck! :biggrin:

jamaican jerked chicken wings with mulberry chipotle sauce

jerkwingsfatti-035.jpg

Rick, I should have known you would do this. I do not have your photo skills but I will be back tomorrow with more jerk chicken for my first ever throwdown entry. It's getting all nice and mellow in the fridge tonight. Looks great BTW. How did the sauce turn out? I dig the tater Dude.

Rick, I should have known you would do this. I do not have your photo skills but I will be back tomorrow with more jerk chicken for my first ever throwdown entry. It's getting all nice and mellow in the fridge tonight. Looks great BTW. How did the sauce turn out? I dig the tater Dude.

the sauce didn't turn out like i had hoped. :roll:

that is "arock" from germany. don marco sent it to me! :biggrin:

My first ever throwdown attempt. Jerk Chicken, mango salsa, yuca with garlic / lime mojo, rice & peas, fried plantains and grilled pineapple with Dizzy Pigs Pineapple Head rub. Top it all off with a Red Stripe. Yea Mon!

jerk013.jpg

jerk011.jpg

I squeezed in a lot of cookin' this weekend, despite a tornado sighting, two lightening storms, 5/8" of rain, a run in with some hard liquor, and a repair job on my cooking buddies stainless steel grill grates...... Even though I love lightening, this weeks Around The World Throwdown was the most fun.

The Throwdown started on Monday night when I marinated some beef short ribs in a Korean style marinade. On Saturday, they were barbecued for almost 2 hours, then moved into a foil pan with some reserved marinade. They were braised tender then returned to the cooker for a crisp up. Some toasted sesame seeds and green onion rings were the final touch. Served on a bed of rice, and with a side of wokked veggies, rounded out the meal. These ribs were so tender I had to be careful moving them to the platter, I thought I might loose the bone. :biggrin:

I'd like the last picture to be my entry.

DSC07965a.jpg

DSC07970a.jpg

DSC08024a.jpg

DSC08031aa.jpg

DSC08036a.jpg

DSC08056a.jpg

DSC08054a.jpg

DSC08059aa.jpg

DSC08066a.jpg

Back