THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I't definitely worthy and it looks great. I guess everyone was busy last week, and didn't have time to put together an entry. Thats understandable because it's hard to do one every week. I wonder if there is anything we can do to build interest in the throwdowns? I have to admit until I did my first entry a couple weeks ago I didn't spend any time here. It was so much fun that I really pushed hard to find time to do mine. I think if some new people would give it a try they would get hooked too. Lets hope it was just an off week and not a sign that people are loosing interest. Anyway congrats on your dish now I need to find me a wok.:thumb:

Maybe Moose needs to Moose it in Q-Talk. :clap2:

Replacement Photo

This is my official entry for the Thai One On throwdown.
Please use this shot as my official entry. I know it's blurry but it is the best one I took.:doh:

DSC01232.jpg

Okay since we are bending the rules just this one time.
I was going to replace my official "Money Shot" with one I took today. I got some great advice yesterday in a thread I made about my crappy pics. Today for lunch my son wanted some of the stuff I made Sunday. I had the idea to plate it up and use some of that great info for a new pic.

The problem is you can't edit a sticky post. So I can't replace that photo.

If this idea is cool with Big and Moose and the rest of you guys.

I would like this to be my new and improved official photo for the "Thai One On" Throwdown.

DSC01242-1.jpg

If not well never mind but check out the improvement over the original.

The problem is you can't edit a sticky post. So I can't replace that photo.

If this idea is cool with Big and Moose and the rest of you guys.

I would like this to be my new and improved official photo for the "Thai One On" Throwdown.

It's the same dish. Nothing changed except it's aged a day. I'll step in and say you're good to go IMHO. Oh, and you can edit posts but you have to do that within 4 hours or so of the original post time.:thumb:

Just got back yesterday from vacation and had a few moments to monitor the latest TD entries while lurking around Italy in search of free WiFi. Great choice of categories and now that it's done...... "please accept this as my official entry into the "Thai One On" Throwdown.

Got my jet lagged arse out of the sheets this morning and checked out some of my recipes I have collected. Then went to the grocery store as the cupboards were bare. Picked up some of the following ingredients.

Marinated some chicken breast in Soy and corn starch. Diced up some Ginger, Garlic, Green onions, Cilantro, and Shallots.

Peeled and cleaned some shrimp for a little Shrimp Spring Rolls.

Mixed up the spring roll filling

Put the wok on the Kamado and things got way too hot for in progress photos, here is the final plating of my Chicken Pad Thai and Shrimp Spring Roll.

Please use this as my money shot.

Time to wash the Dishes

Thanks for lookin at my cookin!
Jed

Official TD Entry - Thai Green Chicken

For the Thai TD I cooked up some Thai Green Chicken. A recipe my wife found about two weeks ago. It's so good we've made it 3 times already.

Starts with a marinade of
1 medium onion
1C cilantro
1 1/2 C basil leaves
1/4 C mint leaves
3 serrano peppers seeded
4 TBS Red Boat 40 Fish Sauce
~1/4 C Braggs aminos (you could use soy sauce here instead)
zest of 2 limes
juice of those same 2 limes
A couple of healthy pinches of pepper, probably about 1/2 tsp.
4-5 cloves of garlic.

All of that goes into the food processor and it gets pureed until somewhat smooth.

For the chicken I used a combination of drumsticks and wings

Took my favorite kitchen weapon to the wings

And then it all went into a ziploc bag overnight to get happy.

I wouldn't marinate this for less than about 8 hours, I let once batch go for 2-full days. After its soak I wipe off the excess marinade.

It then went onto the OTS over indirect heat for about 15-20 minutes per side. This time the skin crisped up nicely on its own so there was no need to finish it over direct heat which I did last time.

Then I plated it up with some stir-fried vegetables
Voting Pic:

This chicken is awesome! A little spice, a little salty and a great herbaciousness from the mint, cilantro and basil.

Guay Teow Talay
We are craving rice noodle dishes at the moment, so seems perfect for the Thai TD!
Started with squid, scallops and prawns, some sliced pork and seasonings.
Also needed Bok Choy, fish sauce, soy, garlic and chilies, and a condiment of hot little Thai chilies sliced into a jar of black vinegar a few days earlier!
Squid tubes

Sliced the Bok Choy

Sliced some pork

Oiled and seasoned the scallops , prawns and sqid so it wouldn't stick on the grill.
Grilled high heat for just a minute as it gets added to the stock and simmered for another minute later.

ScallopsSquidandPrawnsseasonedandoiled_zpsc903fbee.jpg
[/URL]
Heated a wok and cooked the fresh rice noodles with garlic and soy sauce and plated it in a platter.
Then cooked the stock and vegetables, added the seafood and pork, which was also grilled BTW, added fresh sliced chili, white pepper and fish sauce and poured it into the platter over the noodles and turned it like a salad, so to speak.

Entry shot
GuayteowTalayPlatter_zps89166a24.jpg
[/URL]

Another angle
GuayteowTalayPlatter2_zps5e80cfe4.jpg
[/URL]
And a dish ready to eat!
GuayteowTalaydish_zps55e3bac6.jpg
[/URL]

@Hometruckin
I love Pad Thai in fact it is my favorite Thai dish and the spring rolls look perfect . Yours looks fantastic, great job.

@MS2SB
Your Thai Green Chicken looks awesome I love the color of the grilled chicken.

@buccaneer
The Guay Teow Talay(easy for you to say :) really looks good. chicagokp said your dish would be killer he was right.

Hey Bucc-
How do you get the squid tubes to come out like that? Keep the tubes intact and score with a REALLY sharp knife?

It's the same dish. Nothing changed except it's aged a day. I'll step in and say you're good to go IMHO. Oh, and you can edit posts but you have to do that within 4 hours or so of the original post time.:thumb:

It is the same food, re-heated, re-plated, and re-photographed. I don't see a problem with that.

CD

Hey K-Jun, since you will most likely be building the poll thread, can you keep up with all the replacement money shots? Granted, we don't have a lot of entries, but they are making you work.

I don't know Jack about Thai food, and didn't have time to learn for this TD. I do like to learn new foods, but just didn't have time to do it right now.

Voting is going to be interesting for me, since I don't know what any of these entries are supposed to be made, or what they taste like. But, I still accept bribes. :becky:

CD

Hey Bucc-
How do you get the squid tubes to come out like that? Keep the tubes intact and score with a REALLY sharp knife?

Yes, that's it.
If you score all the way though it won't curl into a pleasing shape, that's the only tricky part.
Cut tubes to the size you want, shape you want, score insides.

Hey K-Jun, since you will most likely be building the poll thread, can you keep up with all the replacement money shots? Granted, we don't have a lot of entries, but they are making you work.

I don't know Jack about Thai food, and didn't have time to learn for this TD. I do like to learn new foods, but just didn't have time to do it right now.

Voting is going to be interesting for me, since I don't know what any of these entries are supposed to be made, or what they taste like. But, I still accept bribes. :becky:

CD

Knowing the cuisine and what is or isn't Thai turns out to be a restriction CD, go for it bro.

Marinated thin sliced carrots, red cabbage, broccoli, and cucumber in sugar, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and fish sauce.
Grilled up a package of Trade Joe Bool Kogi (bulgogi)
Made a spread of mayo, sour cream and sriracha.
Toasted crispy bread and added layers:
Meat
Bean sprouts
Fresh basil
Fresh mint
Fresh cilantro
Slaw mixture
Sriracha mixture

null_zps7fa7c9c8.jpg

Back