THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't remember my first throwdown either but I know it's addicting and how I got Amber intrested in the Brethren. You wanna have some fun get your wives involved it gets you both in the kitchen and around the grill.

My first throwdown entry was interestingly the same as my last throwdown entry. I love that recipe.

DSC_0301.jpg

I do have to second the whole 'focus' thing. It is harder than you might think, especially with autofocus and smoke or steam. Stupid camera will focus on air when you least expect it.

Anybody that is using a digital camera ought to be able to improve their
picture taking ability just by taking LOTS of pictures.
Take 3 or 4 pictures close up (about 18 inches away) straight on.
Take 3 or 4 pictures from about 2 & 1/2 feet away.
Take 3 or 4 pictures from overhead.
Take 3 or 4 pictures from the right & the left.
Take some with a flash. Take some without the flash.
Take some pictures outside...when the weather permits.

Don't take just one or two pictures and stop. Take many pictures from
various angles and different light sources. This will give you better odds
and getting a very nice picture to submit for the Throwdown.

The more pictures you take; the better your results will be.:thumb:

Anybody that is using a digital camera ought to be able to improve their
picture taking ability just by taking LOTS of pictures.
Take 3 or 4 pictures close up (about 18 inches away) straight on.
Take 3 or 4 pictures from about 2 & 1/2 feet away.
Take 3 or 4 pictures from overhead.
Take 3 or 4 pictures from the right & the left.
Take some with a flash. Take some without the flash.
Take some pictures outside...when the weather permits.

Don't take just one or two pictures and stop. Take many pictures from
various angles and different light sources. This will give you better odds
and getting a very nice picture to submit for the Throwdown.

The more pictures you take; the better your results will be.:thumb:

The moral of the story is,, Even a blind man hits the bullseye once in a while,,,lol

Have you ever thought about entering one of the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns but felt like you were either too new to the Brethren, or perhaps felt that some of the regulars made dishes too good for you to compete against? Or perhaps you have tried your hand at a Throwdown or two but despite your valiant efforts your dish was blown away by one of the regulars who entered a dish that would have made Julia Child cry?

THEN THIS THROWDOWN IS FOR YOU!:becky::clap2::thumb::eusa_clap:bow::cool:

This Throwdown will be limited to those who have only participated in 3 Throwdowns or fewer (based on the date of this post). If you are unsure if you qualify, just ask and I will let you know.:cool:

This will be an OPEN CATEGORY, meaning any dish will be accepted as long as it adheres to the following rules:

1. The item must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients in a prominent manner.
2. Submitted dishes must be cooked between Today (11/22) and Friday 12/31.
3. All pics (any number) must be submitted by Midnight Central Time on January 2nd (extra couple of days are being allowed for those who will be out of town or otherwise indisposed due to the New Year).
4. You can make multiple entries into this Throwdown if you like. Just like at a bash, I would not expect people to share only one dish, but any number of dishes they would like to share.
5. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.
6. By posting your photos, you are granting consent for your photo to be reused for other BBQ Brethren related postings or materials.
7. Any joke photos, or photos of past creations you wish to show off must have a disclaimer stating that the photo is not intended to be included in the Vote thread.
8. If you have any problems with any of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for any reason, DO NOT COMPLAIN TO ME! Instead, please use the ***VOTE*** thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. Any complaints posted in any Throwdown thread, or directed to me via any other means will be ignored.
9. If I find an entry to have violated these simple rules, I reserve the right to disqualify that entry.
10. As at any neighborhood block party, the kids are present and part of the festivities, so please keep your posts family friendly.
11. Since this is a virtual online bash, I expect everyone to have fun, but also remember there are kids around. Anyone caught not having fun will be asked to leave until they are fun again.

Best of luck to all who enter!:cool:

Hey! I'm not gonna waste a VIRGIN on this throwdown!

The moral of the story is,, Even a blind man hits the bullseye once in a while,,,lol

Shooting lots of pictures is one of the first things I learned about
Photography many years ago. That is what all professional photographers
do; National Geographic photographers, Fashion, Sports, News, etc.
They would all shoot dozens of rolls of film, many times even Hundreds of
rolls of film. 99% of the pictures would be thrown away; they would shoot
dozens of rolls of film just trying to get one or two good pictures.

The second thing I learned about Photography was that good pictures were
made with a camera....Great pictures were made in the Darkroom. Now that
we are in the Digital age of Photography; almost everybody has a digital
Darkroom (of some type) on their computer. (photoshop)

If people want to only take one or two pictures; that's OK. Everybody
has the right to do what they want, and what's best for them.
Whether it's cooking or photography; do what works best for you.

Last edited:
If we don't count throwdowns where we received less than 5 votes, I'm sure I'd be allowed to enter. :becky:

Now where did I put that virgin... :confused:
You're not allowed just on principle. Sour-Patch Kids Stir Fry? 3BGB? I would say you have intimidated the new folks enough!:becky:

You're not allowed just on principle. Sour-Patch Kids Stir Fry? 3BGB? I would say you have intimidated the new folks enough!:becky:

I'm sure I have no idea what you are talking about. :twisted:

Besides... I didn't win with either of those creations. :becky:

In all seriousness though, I do agree that taking a ton of pics of your final creation is important. Still haven't used the "darkroom" on any of my pics yet... Oh, and, I take 95% of my pics using my cell phone. :heh:

Chris, I'm going off of memory here, isn't photoshop typically NOT allowed in TD's? Only allowed in certain specials such as the McRib td?

Or maybe I'm all farked up inna head...

Chris, I'm going off of memory here, isn't photoshop typically NOT allowed in TD's? Only allowed in certain specials such as the McRib td?

Or maybe I'm all farked up inna head...
Well...I'm not qualified to do any of the head shrinkage stuff, but I can point to Rule #6 listed in the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Rules...

6. You are allowed to touch up your photos for clarity, or to add the dish/item to a more interesting background if you like.

Back