THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here's my entry.

Picked-up a small eye of round roast from my butcher. Cost $7.25. Indirect cook on the OTP with some grape wood chunks. Pulled at 125* and rested.

Served it hot with some pan roasted brussel sprouts and bacon. Wrapped up the leftovers and tonight sliced as thin as I could, and served it on a bakery fresh chibatta with prov, hot cherry peppers, and mustard. Had a handful of Detroit's finest, Better Made wavy chips with the sammie...

Here's the money shot.

About $14.75 spent on the two days meals...

Good looking rump, and maximizing the cost.

This is my official entry into the ON A BUDGET TD

As most of you know I'm very recently engaged AND just bought a new Lang smoker ... therefore, I'M ON A BUDGET.

I used some 3 Beer Rub that I had left ... .25
Chinet plate ... .34
and the only meat I can afford right now ... Spam ... $2.50 (on sale)

Spam grilled skewers

P1000915.jpg

P1000916.jpg

P1000917.jpg

Money Shot
P1000918.jpg

$2.50 for twelve ounces of meat is "on a budget"? That's $3.33/lb ON SALE!!! You can get bacon on sale for cheaper than that!

I hope your wife to be will be running the groceries...for your own sake.

:becky:

Hahaha ... We do have standards although on a budget (first and only time buying spam )

OFFICIAL ENTRY

Ok, for the “on a budget throwdown” I have prepared a three course date-night meal for my wife and I. (Our 7 month old daughter is not allowed to eat daddy’s cooking yet.)

First, the costs: I purchased everything I used at two different stores.
(Receipt 1-$ 4.85) + (Receipt 2-$ 9.45) = $ 14.30
Then while driving home, I saw a truck on the side of the road selling Live Crabs $10/dz! (I love living in Maryland). So I bought 2 dozen but only used one crab in this meal. So that adds $0.84. So you can see on the receipt that I deducted one ear of corn, I only used two instead of the three that I bought.
So the new total is $14.30 – $0.33 = $ 13.97 + $0.84 (the cost of one crab) = $14.81

IMG_0107.jpg

I was able to create 3 courses because of 2 lucky finds at the store.
1. I found two slices of key lime pie and the cost was under $3.
2. I found bacon wrapped “center cut beef steaks”. I have no idea what they are, but at $5.99, I am sure that they are not filet mignon! So from here on I will refer to them as “Faux Mignon”.
IMG_0113.jpg

On to the meal – the first course is a “Grilled Prawn & Crab Ceviche”. (shrimp, crab, apple, parsley, onion, lime juice, and salt.) not really a ceviche because I grilled the seafood, but close enough.

On the grill
IMG_0109.jpg

Final product
IMG_0115.jpg

The dessert was just a store bought pie slice which I added a lime slice to
IMG_0120.jpg

I forgot to take a picture while I grilled the main course, or of the main course by itself :doh:
The main course is Faux Mignon, grilled corn and snow peas sautéed with EVOO and a little onion.

The Money Shot
IMG_0121.jpg

All of this for under $15!

On a side note: The Faux Mignon sucked. I have no idea what it was a center cut of, but it had no flavor and a rubbery texture.

No way we can get anything like this on a budget downunder.
Beautiful entries, well done so far!
I originally wanted to enter with my chicken and rice cook, how expensive can that ne, chicken and rice?
Here, the chicken alone took me over the limit!!:shocked:

Niiiiiicccceee

OFFICIAL ENTRY

Ok, for the “on a budget throwdown” I have prepared a three course date-night meal for my wife and I. (Our 7 month old daughter is not allowed to eat daddy’s cooking yet.)

The Money Shot
IMG_0121.jpg

All of this for under $15!

On a side note: The Faux Mignon sucked. I have no idea what it was a center cut of, but it had no flavor and a rubbery texture.

Sorry the meat sucked that looks pretty awesome.:clap:

I'm in. The bulk of my menu was purchased for a little over 9 bucks at a local ethnic supermarket. I'll be purchasing my protein in the a.m. @ $0.99/lb. I've got a couple more items needing purchase that should not be more than a couple dollars.

I'm going to have to be resourceful with my remaining budget. I was hoping to include a desert, but that's impossible. I may not use all of the items I purchased. Some things I already have on hand and will allocate. I have to admit that a bit of larceny may be involved. I've done it before, but on a much smaller scale. Coming in at $15 will be close, but I think i can do it. Stay tuned.

As I staed earlier, small scale. No mug shot. Worst case, a ban from the restaurant or a little floor spice on my next burger.

Please accept this as my "Official" entry to the "On A Budget TD

Bacon Wrapped Venison Fatty

Here is the break down on the cost. My receipt shows $18.27 , however I did not use everything pictured or on the receipt. I did not use the Hot Cereal or Lucinda's Basi and I pruchased two Green peppers but only used one. Total deductions 18.27 - 5.29 = 12.98. Now add in the venison cost. A buddy of mine drove his truck, his gas, his gun, his and his rounds. Harvested a buck and we agreed to split the processing fees. We paid 75.00 for 60 - 1.lb packages of ground meat and sausage. Comes to 1.25 / .lb. and I used only 2/3 of each package for this meal. Comes to $ .84/package a total of $1.68. No 12.98 +1.68=14.66. Pics to follow later, once I download them. :grin:

Official Throwdown Entry

Please accept this as my official entry into the "On a Budget" Throwdown.

Tri Tip, Bread, Corn Casserole, and Peaches cooked on a Large and Small BGE.

Full cook thread: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141877

Cost details
Tri-Tip: $9.21
Corn on the cobb (1 1/2 ears): $0.38
Corn cream style in can: $1.16
Cheddar Cheese shredded (for limited amount used): $0.50
Jiffy corn muffin mix: $0.75
sub-total for items above (things I can quantify): $12.00

Items I don't have costs for:
sour cream (1 cup)
butter (1 stick)
bread flour (15 oz)
rapid rise yeast (1/2 tsp)
table salt (1 1/2 tsp)
beer (3 oz - the rest consumed as a beverage which I believe doesn't count :grin:)
white vinegar (1 TBS)
whipped cream (1 cup)
powdered sugar (1/4 cup)
vanilla extract (1 tsp)
white peaches (qty 3)
white balsamic vinegar (drizzle for 3 peaches)
rub for tri tip (however many shakes it takes to season a tri tip)
guestimate for this stuff: less than $3 but let's just say $2.99 :noidea: for a total cost of $14.99 to feed 3 adults and still have food left over.

A few of the pics from the cook:

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

and Mr. Bigabyte, please use this for the TD vote:
IMG_2665.jpg

Hey John, where did that tri-tip materialize from?
Did you pull it out of the corn casserole? :confused:

Now that would be something special! However, with all of the things cooking on the two Eggs, I only managed to get a single lousy pic of the tri tip cooking and it wasn't even close to making the final cut for the post. :doh:

Now that would be something special! However, with all of the things cooking on the two Eggs, I only managed to get a single lousy pic of the tri tip cooking and it wasn't even close to making the final cut for the post. :doh:

Well, let's see it. We're not going to vote on that pic anyway. A few of us noobs are scratching our heads wondering how you turned that corn casserole into a tri-tip. I'd love that recipe.

Back