THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did someone say metal spikes?

Ginger-Collar.jpg

Hi Boys!

Alright, I'll start...

I never, ever, EVER cook beef ribs for anyone else. Period. They are mine.

Seriously - It's probably the only thing I cook that I do not share.

Something I also Have an affinity for is "that bit of crispy something" Could be a piece of bark off a butt, chicken skin that hit it just right, or in this case, a piece of sliced garlic & dill smoked tater.

Together, Unstoppable.

2012-05-12_16-38-39_HDR.jpg

That's it! You Win.

This is what the request was:
I want to see what you keep for yourself when no one else is looking.
I want you to share with us that which you share with no one else.
I want to know what you covet.
I want to know why.

This is my response.

Since I am here by myself this weekend, I wanted to make something that I covet, and I don't get often.

Pork Belly

but I also like pie.........

On Saturday I picked up 3 lbs of belly, and scored it up and rubbed it lovingly with kosher salt.

IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

Let is sit for a while to let the salt start pulling the moisture out of the skin and fat.
Then put it in smoker and smoked until 165 IT.

IMG_0836.JPG

Took it out and let it rest.

IMG_0839.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0841.JPG

Then it went into the fridge overnight. This morning I sliced some off of it and fried it up like bacon and had some with eggs...YUM!, but that was just as bonus, the main show was yet to come.

Chopped up the rest of the belly.
IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0845.JPG

Put into cold CI skillet and let come up to temp, and fry in it's own fat.

IMG_0846.JPG

IMG_0847.JPG

Once fat has rendered out what I have left is bits of crispy pork belly & fried skin (cracklins).

I let that drain and cool and set aside.

Now it's time for pie.

My favorite pie is key lime, so let's get started.

I zested and juiced 5 limes, and split and de-seeded 1 habanero.

IMG_0849.JPG

Here are the components

IMG_0859.JPG

Left: Lime Zest Center: Crispy Pork Bits Right: Chopped Habanero

Pie Recipe

Ingredients
4 large egg yolks
4 tsp grated lime zest
1/2 cup lime juice (5 limes)
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 graham cracker crust

Instructions
1) Whisk egg yolks and lime zest together until mix has light green tint (about 2 min)
2)Whisk in condensed milk until smooth then whisk in lime juice add pork bits and a touch of the habanero (to taste).
3)Cover until at room temp until thickened (about 30 min)
4)Meanwhile prepare and bake crust at 325 set aside and fill with mixture (while crust is still warm).
5)Bake until center is firm, but still jiggly (15-20 min)

Let pie cool at room temp for hour, then refrigerate until filling is chilled and set (about 3 hours).

While the pie was chillin' I decided to toss a rib-eye on the grill (this is MY dream meal after all)
IMG_0874.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

I tossed some baby spring greens with some chopped green onions, red wine vinegar, olive oil......and crispy pork bits.

IMG_0878.JPG

The pie looks ready.
IMG_0882.JPG

Dinner:

IMG_0884.JPG

Dessert:

I humbly submit to this TD my: Habanero Key Lime Pie with Crispy Pork Bits

IMG_0906.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

IMG_0895.JPG

Fork Shot:
IMG_0918.JPG

I'm stuffed! :biggrin1:

A couple of years ago I bought my wife a pasta attachment for Christmas. Since then most of our pasta is homemade :clap:. Lately she has been making her own Alfredo sauce to go with our grilled chicken and homemade noodles.

For the family I just brush the chicken with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and throw it in the egg over indirect heat at about 500.

For me and only me I brush chicken with chili oil grab my new favorite chipotle grinder. I could say that this is because it is so good I don't want to share it with anyone. Truth is I'm the only one that likes it really hot. This in fact is not so hot but it is farking good.

IMG_2135.jpg

IMG_2139.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

My fork shots didn't turn out as well as I had so just imagine the entire plate resting on a giant fork.

IMG_2144.jpg

Back