Bbq 2015 season need team mates for Rusty Kettle Barbecue

Hey don't worry about being harsh. Truthfully just trying to lay ground rules so there wasn't any surprises later. I have never really worded the things the best.
I am one of those people that either you really like me or your really hate my guts. I try to be upfront and honest. It's not that I am intending to rub anyone the wrong way. I am just overthinking it. I am just taking this more seriously then I should be. Last year I got my rear end handed to me and well it's because at least in part I jumped my time line way too early because I got nervous as I was parked next to a huge Lang and then a cabinet smoker I think a backwoods smoker. I know it's the cook not the smoker but I let myself be intimidated. They weren't trying to intimidate me but when you pull up with as small of a set up as I have and you realize some of the competitors are caterers you freak out. I just don't want another DAL and I want to be prepared fully to compete against guys with much more experience than I have. Now I am worried as my wife won't be teaming up with me this year. She built the boxes and well I am a terrible box builder. It will probably be a wreck this year without my wife backing me up but you never know. I know why I crash and burned last year and it was all my fault hopefully even if I can't even get one team mate to come along for the ride I just don't want to be last. It just sucks to practice all the time and then blow it totally. We ate barbecue every day for months before the contest as we weren't going to waste it. Every day bbq for breakfast lunch and dinner. I love bbq but to eat that much of it for that long and work so hard and blow it because I was an idiot well it eats at you. We will see this year if I can do better. If anyone would be interested let me know and if not oh well maybe I can find a team mate for other comps later.

What you do is practice what you learned from Dan. His way, none of I want to make it better by adding this or that.

You practice some time lines at home with your cooker and write them down to the second.

You can build boxes at home and flip them at the comp. If you need someone to run them for you, just ask...BBQ folks help each other.

This is a simple easy comp that can and will install confidence in you. You only need a team for costs/help when you step up to the pro division....just my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

Good Luck!!!

Hey don't worry about being harsh. Truthfully just trying to lay ground rules so there wasn't any surprises later. I have never really worded the things the best.
I am one of those people that either you really like me or your really hate my guts. I try to be upfront and honest. It's not that I am intending to rub anyone the wrong way. I am just overthinking it. I am just taking this more seriously then I should be. Last year I got my rear end handed to me and well it's because at least in part I jumped my time line way too early because I got nervous as I was parked next to a huge Lang and then a cabinet smoker I think a backwoods smoker. I know it's the cook not the smoker but I let myself be intimidated. They weren't trying to intimidate me but when you pull up with as small of a set up as I have and you realize some of the competitors are caterers you freak out. I just don't want another DAL and I want to be prepared fully to compete against guys with much more experience than I have. Now I am worried as my wife won't be teaming up with me this year. She built the boxes and well I am a terrible box builder. It will probably be a wreck this year without my wife backing me up but you never know. I know why I crash and burned last year and it was all my fault hopefully even if I can't even get one team mate to come along for the ride I just don't want to be last. It just sucks to practice all the time and then blow it totally. We ate barbecue every day for months before the contest as we weren't going to waste it. Every day bbq for breakfast lunch and dinner. I love bbq but to eat that much of it for that long and work so hard and blow it because I was an idiot well it eats at you. We will see this year if I can do better. If anyone would be interested let me know and if not oh well maybe I can find a team mate for other comps later.

Now that's a good outlook......

I wish you well in finding a teammate and in the competitions as well.

What you do is practice what you learned from Dan. His way, none of I want to make it better by adding this or that.

You practice some time lines at home with your cooker and write them down to the second.

You can build boxes at home and flip them at the comp. If you need someone to run them for you, just ask...BBQ folks help each other.

This is a simple easy comp that can and will install confidence in you. You only need a team for costs/help when you step up to the pro division....just my 2 cents for whatever its worth.

Good Luck!!!

I have notes from the class and plan to stick to it. If I get middle of the pack I would be thrilled.

You are a good guy - and, for the record, I don't hate your guts. Take all of this advice to heart. You have some very experienced people here giving you free advice.

I sometimes build boxes ahead of time and then flip/flip them into the turn in box. That might help take some worry away, and it is perfectly legal.

Focus on the positive - you took a class from a very successful team this year. Do what they told you. I know, it may go against what you think. Heck, when I follow what my mentor told me exactly, I do well. Practice your timing in your own back yard, and you won't have to argue with anyone except yourself. Trust me, when you do well all on your own, that is a great feeling.

Create a timeline when you practice and stick to it. I cook on one of the ugliest UDSs you will ever see. The first time I cooked in a contest (next to some very fancy smokers - Jambos, etc.), I did exactly what you did and put my chicken on WAY too early because my neighbors were putting it on - I was intimidated. That didn't get me a very good score in chicken. Ribs were second place, and that was because I followed my timeline. Again - make a timeline that works at home and implement it in the contest. The very best of luck to you!!!

Just remember - BBQ is basic. Just because they have the fanciest smoker or are a caterer or restaurant owner does not make them a good competition BBQ cook. Catering and restaurant folks are generally used to cooking for the masses, who don't know good BBQ from bad. You need to focus on cooking for 6 people (judges) who generally know what good bbq is supposed to taste like based on one bite.

Don't watch other teams when you cook. Just because they are putting their chicken on doesn't mean you should be. You need to stick to your time line you created based on your backyard practice. They all have different smokers and cook temps, and you have your own timeline based on your smokers and practice.

Don't worry as much about your parsley boxes, as you should concern yourself with taste and texture. Appearance is weighted much less than how your bbq tastes. Not that it is not ultimately important, but I used to make very pretty bbq which didn't have the greatest texture. Focus your efforts in the beginning on the areas which will get you the biggest bang in points.

Another thing which might help you a great deal is to become a judge and judge a few contests. This way, you can see and taste what is being turned in by other teams, and get some a-ha's.

I once caused my 8 month pregnant wife to sprint about 1/4 mile with my brisket box to keep us from getting DQed so you do have options....

Last edited:
I cook with my eight year old daughter on two Hasty Bakes. Prep your meat before hand, build your boxes the night before and flip at the contest and run YOUR program. Don't stress out. BBQ is supposed to be fun, if you are worrying too much you are taking the fun out of it. Believe me I am a big worry wort, I have to tell myself "be calm, this is fun remember", after my pep talk I relax and do what I love.....cook. Sometimes I even do well.

One other thing to remember is even the big guys don't win or even walk every week, BBQ is a fickle mistress.

Back