THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wish I could compete, but the timing just isn’t right (I’ve got to prep for the race in Dallas)… Like I said before, I’m planning on swinging by on Friday to meet as many of the brothers as I can, and hopefully again on Saturday to cheer for all of you….

All I can say is “Wait till next year!”

I am hoping to be there to observe.Just depends on whether the better half is in the mood for a 3 hour road trip.

Ulcer Acres will be there Thursday evening and plan on coming over for biscuts and gravy on Saturday morning at 7:00 am

Does anyone know when it’s open to the public on Friday and Saturday???

The way it looks, I may have to pull an all nighter Friday just to finish off half of the briskets I need to bring down to Dallas…

(I just about got kicked out of Texas last year when I told a state trouper that I had to bring the brisket down from Chicago since they ‘don’t know how to cook it there’. He put his hand on his gun and said ‘I beg your pardon’…. All was well once I gave him a point to take home…)

Its open to the public all weekend. Make sure and stop by the UA mobile office, just look for the flag pole with the Ulcer Acres flag

Hope to see you all at this comp. I'll have cheese grits and bacon going Friday morning. Stop over for a cup of joe and the best grits north of Savannah. Also, stop by and hoist one with us to wish the tonto a happy birthday!!

Not only did I have my weekends mixed up I scheduled my self to cook for mother in laws Birthday this saturday.Pisses me off !I wish all luck Saturday and would some one post the results after the contest actually happens?:confused::eek::cry::mad::lol:

'Ron L', '2Fat', & 'michiana mark',

Are you guys going to be around on Friday or just Saturday?

I was thinking of just stoping out on Friday, but now that I see there are so many brothers that are going to be there I may swing back on Saturday and cheer them on!

gonna try get there by 8-9pm to suck someone elses whiskey<lol> then try find the holiday inn that I passed out in last year<sf>---about 4hrs from here--traffic into the city shouldn't be too bad I hope

I just got home from the Lamb's Farm competition. Alex and Kate put on another great show! The field was 34 teams and included a lot of folks who are going to the Jack next weekend. I judged along with BillM and 2Fat (Buzz) from the Brethren site and a couple of folks who were in my judging class back in January.

At my table, we were generally disappointed by the quality of the Q. Out of the chicken there was only one entry that stood out, and it was just OK. One of the entries was so heavily spiced that it took two crackers and a bunch of water to get the flavor out of my mouth before I could go on. One of the rib entries had so much smoke that my tongue went numb. The rest of the ribs were also pretty bad except one which has nice flavor but was a touch dry. The pork was a real disappointment. Two of the entries looked good, but on had no flavor and the other had OK flavor but the bark was so tough that I couldn't bite through it. We were all hoping that we would get some decent brisket entries but that proved not to be true. One entry was very thin slices placed on one leaf of lettuce. I have never seen such poor presentation. Of the others, two entries were so bad that none of the judges took more than one bite. One other entry had some very good burnt ends but the sliced brisket was very undercooked.

There was some good food turned in, however. I saw a beautiful tray of pork at the volunteer's table and tasted a piece. It was great! The table captain said that he tried a couple of great ribs form another table also.

I don't have the full results, but GC was Smokin' Clones and RGC was The Heat Is On. There were a lot of Brethren teams who walked including Scotty, Ulcer Acres, Porkcrastinators, Great Lakes Feed and BBQ, Smokin' Scotsmen (three walks and 12th overall!) and Michiana Mark who finished 10th overall in his first competition and took home the Best New Team honors!

After judging was over I went to talk with the teams. I saw Scottie, Ulcer Acres, Smoke Hunters, KRE Smokers, Porkcrastinators and a bunch of others. While waiting for the awards I pulled up a chair with a Smokin' Scotsmen team and had a chance to meet Tonto, BBQ Bud, BBQ Bubba, Michiana Mark, Divemaster , Ford and one other of the Scotsman who hasn't registered yet (Jeff, right? My brain is numb). After the awards I hang in the camper with the Scotsmen and Tonto made me some good coffee. It's always fun hanging with other Brethren and the Scotsmen are no exception. We had a good time talking about BBQ and cookers and all sorts of stuff. I had to get to a family reunion and had to bail, but I would have stayed longer if I could.

I took some pictures and will post them tomorrow.

full results

36 teams

Overall
GC - Clones 635.9998
RC - The Heat Is On 626.2858
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co. 622.8564
Porkrastinators 618.8570
Cancersuckschicago.com 613.1428
Smokey Joel
KRE Smokers
Quau
Smoken Sour Mash
Roadmaster BBQ (Michiana Mark)

Chicken
Quau
The Heat Is On
Roadmaster BBQ
Smokin Clones
Smoken Sour Mash
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co
Slug Bug
Pig Daddy
Hawg Wash BBQ
Porkrastinators

Ribs The Heat is On
Porkrastinators
KRE Smokers
Smokey Joel
Smoken Sour Mash
Smokin Clones
The Powers of BBQ
Smokin Scotsman
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co.
Cancersuckschicago.com

Pork

Smokin Clones
The Smok'n Cheeseheads
Ulcer Acres BBQ
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co
Smokey Joel
Quau
Slug Bug BBQ
Cancersuckschicago.com
Smokin Scotsman
KRE Smokers

Brisket
Cancersuckschicago.com
Ulcer Acres BBQ
Smokey Joel
The Smoke'n Cheeseheads
Porkrastinators
Roadmaster BBQ
Great Lakes BBQ and Feed Co.
Smokin Clones
Smoken Sour Mash
KRE Smokers
Great Job by Kate and Alex. I'll do this one next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the full results, Ford. It was nice to meet you.

I added bold for the Brethren teams. i think I got everyone. If not, let me know!

missed 9th place ribs

Great Lakes BBQ & Feed Co. Yes I did get 4 calls but they didn't offset Grandpa Cheese with that 1st place call.

Mod note: I added the 9th in ribs

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a windy affair for sure. Met tonto, nice to put a face with a name. Had a few tastes but nothing really stood out. Had some really bad brisket and dry ribs. We had more fun down in Arthur last weekend, the peoples choice and pig roast there were excellent.

After judging probably 20 contests in the last few years think our table had some of the worst that has ever crossed my tongue--one on the chicken plate was above average--two were almost too spicy to eat.
Some of the rib resentations looked like they were done by the flip and throw method--one sample was decent.
Our pork plate was'nt much better---lighter fluid/creosote was a dominating flavour!

But would bet that all but one sample of brisket was a placewinner--great presentations, mostly cooked good, nice flavours with a little use of Joe Ames products also!
Awespme desserts--sure wish they came 1st<LOL>

For those cookes that haven't jusdged--go do it---it is an eyopener for sure!

Back