THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cheech and Chong

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Dave
The latest batch of wood I got delivered has a lot of smaller size splits from branches. 3 to 4 inches in diameter with the bark on. Do you guys have a preference about using wood with bark? Any difference in smoke?

Thanks

I don't notice much difference, although the bark seems to be a bit bitter when it is first getting ignited. I would not waste time trying to remove it. But when I get splits that are well seasoned and the bark is peeling off easily I will remove it.

The only time I've had a problem with bark was the one time I tried to use a bunch of hickory twigs in lieu of proper smoke wood chunks. The twigs had about as much bark as wood, and it proved to be too much. Gave a bitter, overly smoky taste to the meat.

Never had an issue with leaving bark on when I'm using normal sized chunks in the WSM or splits in the COS.

Back