THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Seem to be hearing that a bit since I got my BWS Gater.

So I went and did a dry pan cook @250* and took 36 lbs. of bone in butts and let them cook to completion without foil for @ 8 hours.

Used two racks, starting the larger butts on the top rack for 2 hours and then swapping the smaller on top for another 2 hours. Butts staggered on the grates during the first 4 hours of the cook.

Here they are 4 hours in, one rack lower (below door thermo) position.

IMG_6107.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

Took these to 205 for pulled pork sammies for a co-workers retirement party later in the week.

IMG_6132.jpg

I usually foil and don't really care about bark, but I gotta say, these would make a bark lover blush, and I was pretty satisfied myself.

Wet or dry, the Backwoods does it!

Fuel mizer too!

IMG_6133.jpg

I don't know how y'all guys use them petroleum thingys :sick: in your pits to cook yourself and others BBQ. Nice lookin cook though. Definitely better bark when you Run a insulated vertical dry.

I don't know how y'all guys use them petroleum thingys :sick: in your pits to cook yourself and others BBQ. Nice lookin cook though. Definitely better bark when you Run a insulated vertical dry.

I could do a better job at keepin' the K's up and the grooves down.

I have to admit, it was a major concern for me. ran mine today for the first time, ribs on top rack gave me a mean bark(will post pics tmr). this was with the water pan half full. Im looking forward to brisket and pork on it to see what I can produce.

Thanks for the post, in my search on this precise subject last week or so, I couldnt find bws bark pics

Those are some pretty butts you got there :oops:

Was the pan empty or did you have crumbled foil or similar for a heat sink?

Those are some pretty butts you got there :oops:

Was the pan empty or did you have crumbled foil or similar for a heat sink?

This cook had some broken firebricks in the pan and it was foiled over.
I took a couple universal grates and cut them to size so they fit directly over the waterpan.
Then I use an aluminum baking sheet foiled over to catch the drippings. The sheet pan has @ 3/4" lip and is almost as long as the waterpan. I do this cooking wet or dry and it makes emptying the waterpan and the resulting grease mess much more easy to deal with.

I have to admit, it was a major concern for me. ran mine today for the first time, ribs on top rack gave me a mean bark(will post pics tmr). this was with the water pan half full. Im looking forward to brisket and pork on it to see what I can produce.

Thanks for the post, in my search on this precise subject last week or so, I couldnt find bws bark pics

Looking forward to your pics!

Back