Barbacoa, Fatties, and ABTs for the game - pR0N included

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
I blame SteveKing and his generous sharing of this recipe for inspiring me for this cook.

I grabbed a nice 3 lb chuckie (my first, ever) at Kroger yesterday. Rubbed it down with some sea salt and coarse ground pepper while I fired up the cheap old offset against this Indiana winter chill. Wind has been fighting me all day until I finally smartened-up and turned the cooker to use the wind direction to my advantage.

Rubbed two sausage fatties with Shigs in Pit rub and took the meat out to the cooker.

2016-01-24%2011.33.20_zpsugixrrlc.jpg

While the chuckie smoked, I grabbed a baking dish and combined the rest of the ingredients for the roast portion of this barbacoa dish. I plan to remove the chuck from the smoker and finish the cook in the kitchen oven...

2016-01-24%2012.41.35_zpstbcihfbb.jpg

Checked on the meats and fought with the wind to get the smoker to actually choose a temperature and settle in. I've had some wild swings between 225-285. Ugh.

2016-01-24%2013.00.12_zpsv0qqovmw.jpg

ABTs are waiting in the wings to replace the meat once I pull it.

2016-01-24%2012.52.32_zpsomkb51k2.jpg

More to come.

Pulled the chuckie from the smoker. Into the pan with all that other goodness... and into the oven, it goes.

2016-01-24%2015.29.45_zps8d0geki7.jpg

Counting down until I can go grab those ABTs.

Thanks, folks. Needed to do something with some tortillas and other Latin fixin's I grabbed earlier in the week. Along comes SteveKing with my ticket (barbacoa... LOVE this stuff when we've had it in New Mexico).

Keith, you're killin' me, man. Haven't you figured out how to put ABTs on a rotisserie by now!? :p

SteveKing - I've followed your recipe nearly to a T, and it's driving my family crazy with the smell.

LarryWolfe - Thanks to your video on PSB, I'm following your guidance on the fork-pull tenderness of the chuckie while it's in the oven. Good stuff, brother. Many thanks!

So, the thinner portion of the chuck roast is fork tender. I get a little resistance from the thicker bit, so back in the oven it goes for another 30 minutes. Thank goodness for DVR, as my Cardiac Cats will start their game against the Cardinals about that time!

More to come... thanks for stopping by!

Back