Ball valve for drain on new offset - what do I do with this thing?

Connor_Macleod

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Connor
This may sound like a somewhat dumb line of questioning, but here goes nonetheless...

So my new 24x60 offset from Big Phil's has a drain line on the cook chamber equipped with a 1" ball valve. During the cook, I have been hanging a medium-size galvanized steel bucket from the drain valve and periodically opening the drain to remove grease & drippings from the bottom of the cook chamber.

My old COS did not have a valve on the drain, so I'm new to operating the drain valve on my smoker and want to be sure I'm getting the most benefit out of my equipment. So for all of you drain valve experts, I have a few questions:

1) Do you prefer to keep your drain valve open or closed during the cook, and why?

2) What are the factors that might motivate you to open or close the valve during the cooking process?

3) Does a drain valve provide any special capabilities that a drainless valve does not, e.g., if I were to close the drain valve and run 20-ish gallons of cool tap water into the cook chamber, does that provide a massive heat sink that allows me to do cold smoking in my offset?

I keep my drain open for the entire cook. I would not close it for any reason during the cook. I would not ever intentionally put water inside my cook chamber.

I keep mine closed. I only open it after I'm done cleaning the bottom with hot water and am holding a big bucket under it to catch the dirty water.

I guess the benefit to a ball valve instead of an unscrew type valve or plain unscrew cap is you don't get splashed while opening it.

My offset doesn't get that dirty in the bottom anyway because I'm always putting a disposable foil pan on the bottom under the meat that renders a bunch of fat.

This means fewer cleanings needed and a smoker that doesn't smell like grease.

On the offset, I keep mine open with a grease bucket under it.

If draft is working as it’s supposed to, smoke moves up, not down. I want grease to drain while I’m cooking, not build up in cook chamber.

I don't use a valve, as grease and bacteria is more likely to to accumulate. I leave it open at all times, even when I'm not cooking, and have never seen smoke leak or airflow issues. I like to have the grease out of the pit as soon as possible.

I always keep closed and will open before next cook clean all junk out. I have filled bottom of my CC with water and helped keep temps down. Also lined bottom with foil to help with cleanup

Play around with it and see what works best for you. Its Metal and with enough force it can be cleaned if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View from the cheap seats. My Oklahoma Joe's Highland offset has a Drain hole/bucket catcher. It's always open. It's amazing how much moisture collects during a cook. I line the bottom of the barrel with foil. However a lot of moisture still gathers and what doesn't drip out during the cook I use a blue towel to feed it on through. I've not yet used a hose to wash it. I keep the cooker on a light slant towards drain.

I also store all my cookers with vents open to allow High Plains no humidity constantly blowing winds to abate any possible mold growth

Last edited:
This may sound like a somewhat dumb line of questioning, but here goes nonetheless...

So my new 24x60 offset from Big Phil's has a drain line on the cook chamber equipped with a 1" ball valve. During the cook, I have been hanging a medium-size galvanized steel bucket from the drain valve and periodically opening the drain to remove grease & drippings from the bottom of the cook chamber.

My old COS did not have a valve on the drain, so I'm new to operating the drain valve on my smoker and want to be sure I'm getting the most benefit out of my equipment. So for all of you drain valve experts, I have a few questions:

1) Do you prefer to keep your drain valve open or closed during the cook, and why?

2) What are the factors that might motivate you to open or close the valve during the cooking process?

3) Does a drain valve provide any special capabilities that a drainless valve does not, e.g., if I were to close the drain valve and run 20-ish gallons of cool tap water into the cook chamber, does that provide a massive heat sink that allows me to do cold smoking in my offset?

Absolutely not a dumb question. Excellent question and topic.

Thanks to all for the replies so far...it seems like there are varied philosophies on how to run the drain valve.

Thinking about it further, one benefit I see to keeping the valve closed except when actively draining is that, this way, at least grease won't be dripping all over my patio when I forget to attach the bucket, which I do forget sometimes while in a flurry of activity to get everything else set for a cook.

I cook with mine open. The valve on mine is threaded onto a short stem. I've made the mistake of forgetting to open the valve and had grease solidify in the stem pipe. It's a hassle to get the stem unplugged once that happens since there is an elbow on it.

On my 1975 I have a 90 degree elbow screwed into the 1" drain hole. It's been open for the 8 months I've had the smoker (there is no valve). It's always got a bucket hanging on it except when I remove it to empty. As far as I can tell, there is no effect on the draft.

My Shirley has a 2" ball valve. I keep it closed at all times, except when cleaning the pit at the end or a cook. I brush the grates, then remove them and use a griddle scraper on the RF plate. I scrape everything towards the drain and then use the accumulated grease and drippings to help flush everything into a galvanized bucket.

Mine stays closed except for the 1-3 times a year I do a deep clean.

1975. Always open. Difficult to see but there is a notch cut in the elbow with a Dremel to keep the handle from sliding around. I roll it in and out of the garage with the bucket attached. I only take it off every few cooks to dump the grease.

picture.php

Last edited:
I like the idea of leaving it open but one of three things will happen if I leave open and a bucket set up below. All end with a huge mess.

1) Dog will get to it and make huge mess.
2) Racoon or some other varmint will wonder why the dumb dog hadn't gotten to it then make a huge mess.
3) A gust of wind from the lips Zephyrus himself will pluck the bucket right off the smoker and make a huge mess.

Robertm, I certainly understand but none of those things have befell me in 8 months. We live in what I call the "used to be country before the Yankees got here" in NC on 3.5 ac. We have racoon, dogs, fox, coyote, skunks, feral cats, wind, and grandkids under 3. If you do the notch, its not coming off. No doubt, Texas may be different though. If you are concerned, dump it after every cook then live long and prosper.

Last edited:
I have a 2 inch ball valve and keep mine open at all times. I like for it to drain into a hanging metal bucket during the cooks and like a little air to circulate while stored to keep the chance of mold down.

I have a 1-1/4" ball valve on mine. It's open during cooks and closed otherwise. I've never really thought about it any other way. Interesting thread for sure.

Back