Baking soda

works great in a marinade for thinly sliced beef.

1/2 tsp per cup of marinade, marinate overnight 12-24 hours give the best results.

I've done it, but with corn starch in the marinade with just a bit of baking soda, for strips of beef in a stir fry. The steak examples for this, I have seen either thin cut, or pounded thin. Haven't seen it done on a normal cut steak.

<from the internet>
While there are several ways to velvet, a pound of meat needs about two teaspoons of cornstarch and two teaspoons of oil, says Leung. You may also include two to three tablespoons of water. For beef, add a 1/4-teaspoon of baking soda for tenderizing. Additional seasonings are optional and vary from recipe to recipe.

Baking soda used to tenderize a steak. Discussed many moons ago but not conclusive. New comments?

Why not... Baking soda is very versatile and is used for many other things
from dousing fires to making volcanos for science projects (when vinegar is added).

Common in Asian cuisine, especially when stir frying thin sliced beef etc, extremely fast.

Word of caution: do not increase the amount of Bicarb thinking you might get a better effect. It will taint the food making it bitter. Learned that from experience.

Common in Asian cuisine, especially when stir frying thin sliced beef etc, extremely fast.

Word of caution: do not increase the amount of Bicarb thinking you might get a better effect. It will taint the food making it bitter. Learned that from experience.

You should try an overnight marinade with baking soda. Its impossible to ruin meat this way.
A simple marinade that is tried and true is:
1 pound thin sliced beef

1 cup water
1/3 soy sauce
1/2 tsp baking soda
marinate 12-24 hours.

Baking soda also aid in changing the PH value of the meat and improves browning. That is why I also use it on chicken skin, lightly dust it on, rub it in, let sit for about 15 minutes, and then apply your rub. I also use mayo as a rub binder, the oils also increase browning and help to insure "Bite Through" skin.

Baking soda can also act as a catalyst in two important food reactions. A tiny pinch of baking soda to vegetables or meats while roasting or sautéing accelerates the rate of sugar caramelization, and supercharges the Maillard reaction, the rate at which the amino acids in proteins react with sugar.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/baking-soda-history

Baking soda also aid in changing the PH value of the meat and improves browning. That is why I also use it on chicken skin, lightly dust it on, rub it in, let sit for about 15 minutes, and then apply your rub. I also use mayo as a rub binder, the oils also increase browning and help to insure "Bite Through" skin.

Baking soda can also act as a catalyst in two important food reactions. A tiny pinch of baking soda to vegetables or meats while roasting or sautéing accelerates the rate of sugar caramelization, and supercharges the Maillard reaction, the rate at which the amino acids in proteins react with sugar.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/baking-soda-history

MadMan speaks...I listen!

Madman - how “bite through” does the chicken skin become with the baking soda. My great downfall is skin, and if this works, I need to try it.

Madman - how “bite through” does the chicken skin become with the baking soda. My great downfall is skin, and if this works, I need to try it.

I think "Bite-Through" Skin is everyone's issue at some point. Keep in mind that the chicken also plays a big part in this issue. Most chicken parts purchased at the store have been butchered at just 8 weeks of age, who have been feed a diet containing corn to fatten them up for market which leaves you with a thick rubbery skin.

Using baking soda at aprox 1/4 tsp per pound of chicken helps to change the PH level of the skin to help with browning. Rub it into the skin and let it sit for at least 15 minutes to do it's magic. The baking soda itself creates browning of the skin to help release some of the fats.

To assist I also pull the skin partially back and rub a small amount of mayo under the skin and apply some rub, place the skin back in place. Then rub mayo on top of the skin and apply some rub. The mayo is simply oil and helps to crisp the skin.

The most important part of crisping skin on a young chicken / chicken parts is higher heat sources, charcoal is king. But you could also consider another source for chicken from a local farm where they are not fattened for market.

Lastly for true "Bite-Through" skin, Salamida's State Fair Chicken gives the best results. Marinade the chicken overnight and grill on high heat, moving back an forth direct / indirect heat to facilitate cooking all the way through. The skin becomes very thin and crisp like rice paper. The long soak and high heat creates the best skin, add your favorite rub, or some McCormick's Rotisserie seasoning for a burst of flavor in every bite.

Recipe for Cornell State Fair Chicken can be found here:
https://warren.cce.cornell.edu/resources/cornell-chicken-barbecue-sauce-and-safe-chicken-barbecues

Back