THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I go 40N for everything, if I had any 35N left, I would use it mostly for soups and stews. I think of it as 40N is the application for where cooking is minimal or it is not going to be heated. The 35N is fine for where it will be cooked longer.

I go 40N for everything, if I had any 35N left, I would use it mostly for soups and stews. I think of it as 40N is the application for where cooking is minimal or it is not going to be heated. The 35N is fine for where it will be cooked longer.

good deal. i'll use the 35n in the sauce and the 40n in the "subway-ish sauce"! :wink: thanks for the idea. that will be great. should i use rice vinegar and sesame oil or olive oil and white vinegar, or something else?

oh yeah, red onion...

omission from this would be cilantro, which neither the wife nor i care for.

I am afraid to open the 40 and the 35 at the same time, for risk of having an over abundance sitting open. But I dont know, Im almost half way through the opened 35n.

Im on a Vietnamese binge too. Easy to fall into with the Red Boat.

i've got the pork in the marinade....

Black Pepper Pork Banh Mi Recipe

1 pound of loin. Sliced thinly
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 table spoons of fish sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons of finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 teaspoon of sesame seed oil

from....

http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-make-banh-mi/recipes-meat/banh-mi-recipe-black-pepper-pork/

i've also just made the homemade rosemary garlic mayo....

2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon rosemary garlic sea salt
1.5 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
1 cup canola/vegetable oil blend

Sounds great!

I would replace the the plain sugar with caramelized sugar. It will make it more authentic.

I would do the pork over a wood fire on skewers perhaps. It will come out much better than in a pan.

For the mayo I would loose the rosemary. I make my Vietnamese baguettes with an egg, oil, lime, fish sauce and garlic mayo.

Cant wait to see pics.

thanks for the recommendations. will take all that into account next time. i did end up doing everything inside on the cooktop. next time i'll use the grill. they turned out quite nicely. first time, so i was unsure....

001-9.jpg

002-9.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-9.jpg

005-6.jpg

006-7.jpg

thanks to all who contributed! i've got lots of things left to try. i'll be making these regularly now.

Looks great to me!

Next time try making salty lemonade or a salty plum soda to go with it. Good stuff. Or if you are a coffe guy get some Cafe du monde or other coffee that has chicory in it and then add sweetened condensed milk. Cafe sua dua or something it is called. Its great iced!!!! That french brought at least some good to Vietnam.

Now you have to learn how to ferment pork. That way you can make sour pork loaf. Or as we call it around here "Vietnamese Pork Roll"

Looks great to me!

Next time try making salty lemonade or a salty plum soda to go with it. Good stuff. Or if you are a coffe guy get some Cafe du monde or other coffee that has chicory in it and then add sweetened condensed milk. Cafe sua dua or something it is called. Its great iced!!!! That french brought at least some good to Vietnam.

Now you have to learn how to ferment pork. That way you can make sour pork loaf. Or as we call it around here "Vietnamese Pork Roll"

Nice idea. That was actually the kids lemonaid. I was going to grab a beer with it, but never got to it.

Oh yeah, beer. I almost forgot. :roll: that would be an awesome accompaniment.

Man, that is outstanding work, I would surely pig out on that stuff. What did you think of the fish sauce? Were you able to taste it at all?

Back