THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

captndan

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I have a fairly large trailer offset smoker. It is reverse flow. The grate is about 6" above the removable drip pan. The idea is to put a removable gas burner on the drip pan so it could be used for a grill with the lid open. Any thoughts on this? Good or bad.

In general smokers are airtight low oxygen cookers but there are a few well designed hybrids. The danger in adapting a smoker to a grill is the possibility of inadequate oxygen and the fire going out and the gas combusting with a big boom when the chamber door is opened.( usually there is some smoldering wood which acts as the igniter) If you do it I would not close the chamber door with the gas on.

I just re-read your post and noticed you would cook with the door open. Just be careful you don't have a " helpful friend" close it.

Back