Bad BBQ

See, this is what ticks me off now about BBQ places. I'm no pro at slow smoking food.

My Goodness I live in the Heart of Dixie, BBQ is supposed to flow through our veins. To me its one of the easiest styles of cooking to learn. Its just insulting to me when they screw it up. I guess its like going to philly and getting a crappy steak and cheese, or bad lobster from Maine you get what I'm saying.
[ /QUOTE]

I feel your pain brother!!! We had a decent Q restaurant locally that replaced their pit with a propane unit. Not a stick to be found... I will never go there again... I promise.

I know I messed up the quote... sue me!!!

Lord forgive me and be with the little pygmies down in New Guinea...The name of the place is called the Country Castle in Paducah, Kentucky. It is a long established watering hole that started cooking pork a while ago. As I mentioned, the locals have all said that if you want good BBQ, go there. Well I did. I will give them this - the beer is good and cold. Momma always said try to say something good about everybody.

I've got some friends in the Paducah area and they swear by Starnes BBQ. I've had some of the sauce and it was not quite my taste preference but the meat is supposed to be killer.

Some might want to kill me, but I've had a bad rack of ribs at Rendezvous in Memphis. :eek: They were completely overcooked and tough. Maybe it was just a bad day there, but it was my first and last time. <ducking for cover>

We also had some nasty stuff up in the Land Between the Lakes on the TN side. It was a little backwoods place with a pit, but the cue was like something you would get at the Kroger deli.

Like others have said, I'm not a pro and I won't pretend to be. But I rarely go out for BBQ anymore. I prefer working on my own and improving it.

BTW - I get to go to Corky's for lunch today! :tongue: Decent Q there.

Most bbq joints put out average bbq. I've been to maybe three Q joints that I could truly say it was dang good BBQ. I think it has to do with the assembly line process. When you're doing four, five maybe six slabs it is easier to get a more consistent outcome compared to doing fifty slabs at a time. Usually the smaller the Q joint the better the bbq. They have time to put a lot of love in the Q.

I realize that some have stated that there is no such thing as bad BBQ. The other night, my wife was having one of her hen parties - I had to get out of the house. I wanted to try a place that I have heard about for the 15 years that I have lived here...went there and ordered the rib plate. It was a half slab with fries and baked beans all for 7.95. On top of that, the beer was extremely cold and 1.50/glass...overall, the price is good. But when the ribs came, they were covered in some slime/glaze and had the texture of them having been previously boiled. Plus the glaze was so sweet that you could have used it for cake icing.

So here is my question - Is it true that there is no such thing as bad BBQ or is it that some BBQ is just better than others?

If this is the wrong thread position - my apologies in advance.

There is bad BBQ.....just try Montgomery Inn or Tumbleweed for their ribs....

Back