THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

snadamo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Adam
We are finally breaking ground on our backyard remodel

I tried to order the pics from before to current state. The long and short of it is, bye bye current kitchen island, saguaros, and flower beds along the wall....hello fake grass!!!

The idea is to give this hugely wasted space a purpose for my kids and future dog to run around and be kids.

Then use the other grossly wasted space on the side of the house as my new outdoor kitchen, complete with gas, electric and water hookups...eventually a door to that area as well.

Here was the seller pics when we moved in.
IMG_0700.jpeg

Here it was after cactus removal
IMG_0698.jpeg

IMG_0699.jpeg

And here it after the removal of the island. HUGE SPACE for my kiddos to put in grass. The patio will eventually get jackhammered out, along with those oleanders. and we are planning on a concrete path along the house following the back of the house shown here (sorry, wheelchair and granite doesn't mix well, bad angle but you get the idea)

IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0703.jpeg

That whole side is going to be a kitchen/entertainment area. Complete with garden all the way at the end. We are still in the design phase for the space, but we are going to get the utilities run and the concrete laid down so I can at least move all my cookers over there. Sadly the lemon tree is going, but I plan to plant both lemon and lime trees in the back.
IMG_0704.jpeg

This has been years in the making, and I can't wait. My old man is helping me (well, the grandkids ;) ) out with this. Plus I can actually get around on the grass and play with my kids.

More pics to come as it progresses, but we're finally here!

Thanks for looking!!!

Last edited:
I disagree with putting grass into a yard in the desert southwest. Unless it's fake grass from Home Depot which you don't have to water. I'm always astonished at how much precious water is wasted down there on grass lawns.

I disagree with putting grass into a yard in the desert southwest. Unless it's fake grass from Home Depot which you don't have to water. I'm always astonished at how much precious water is wasted down there on grass lawns.

Fake grass. Already have a pool, don't need to increase my water bill any more than I have to. However, people are free to do what they like. I just don't want the hassle of maintaining a lawn.

So what's the plan?
Plans? We don't need no steenkin' plans.
Oh, wait, that's badges, never mind.

If you plant a lime tree I so highly recommend a bearss lime over Mexican. Always juicy, seedless and just about always some on the tree. Pink grapefruit love desert heat btw.

Plans? We don't need no steenkin' plans.
Oh, wait, that's badges, never mind.

If you plant a lime tree I so highly recommend a bearss lime over Mexican. Always juicy, seedless and just about always some on the tree. Pink grapefruit love desert heat btw.

Thanks for the tips!

We had a grapefruit tree back there and they were really good. Problem was I was the only one who liked them.

I’m honestly looking forward to the outdoor garden portion, just to put pics in the gardening thread 🤪

Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

My yard was a blank slate when we bought our house. I built a huge paver patio, built a covered pergola for cooking outside, now I’m in the process of building a bbq island. Very satisfying going from a patch of weeds with a 12’ x 12’ cracked, diamond shaped concrete patio to building it out how I want it.

Back