THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True, the color of the roux affects the color of the gravy, but there's a big difference between a cream/milk gravy and a flour thickened stock gravy.

I've never made a cream/milk gravy. I thought that was alfredo sauce... I only use stock when making jiblets gravy.

Arlin_MacRae said:

Growing up, we called this Deep Dip gravy. Excellent on biscuits! But it also worked on anything else on the plate that might be a bit "dry".

I prefer white gravy on biscuits and chicken fried steak. But I like brown gravy over open cornbread or mashed taters.

The wifey makes this white chipped beef gravy that's awesome! She'll serve it over Texas Toast and I'll add a little sprinklin' of Tabasco....mmmm...mmmm....mmmm.

The wifey makes this white chipped beef gravy that's awesome! She'll serve it over Texas Toast and I'll add a little sprinklin' of Tabasco....mmmm...mmmm....mmmm.

RB.i think that sounds like what we call sh!# on a shingle .its the vary best!!! and your right.. mmmm...mmmm....mmmm...

Mom mom calls tomato sauce GRAVY... So in my house,,

its gravy and cheesey garlic bread.
:mrgreen:

istockphoto_472962_cheese_bread_and_marinara_sauce.jpg

Alfredo suace is a reduction of cream with no thickening agent. The color of the gravy comes from liquid that is being thickened, ie. chicken gravy vs. beef gravy. If my memory serves me correctly, when you add a roux to a liquid, you make a sauce. Culinary classes were years and beers ago.

HoDeDo said:
White.... "Sawmill" gravy... with lots of hot sausage, and a little bacon in it just to be different. I make a med. blonde roux for the base.

I have to side with Andy on this one, but we need to add a side of hashbrowns and two overeasy on top. Shovel into head, then take nappy.
Good anytime of day or night.

Pyle's BBQ said:
Alfredo suace is a reduction of cream with no thickening agent. The color of the gravy comes from liquid that is being thickened, ie. chicken gravy vs. beef gravy. If my memory serves me correctly, when you add a roux to a liquid, you make a sauce. Culinary classes were years and beers ago.

Alfredo Sauce is---- Butter and Parmesan cheese melted together, with a little cream added if necessary to smooth things out. I like a touch of nutmeg.

HoDeDo said:
White.... "Sawmill" gravy... with lots of hot sausage, and a little bacon in it just to be different. I make a med. blonde roux for the base.

I am in Andy's camp on this one. Sausage gravy for biscuits should be White[that is cream gravy, no stock] with lots of good country sausage and some bacon, or at least bacon fat] Needs lots of pepper too.

I love the white for breakfast, brown for everything else. Who am I fooli'n? I'll take both!

Back