THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

awarner322

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Adam
Hey everybody, I have a 18 in WSM and am looking to buy the wifi controller that auber offers with the fan. My interest is in making snack sticks that require lower temperatures stepped up. Does anybody have any experience using this device for temps much lower then normal smokes? 120-170 degrees? Curious as to how well it holds the temperature. Thanks for any input. Here is a link to the device. The manufacturer states that it will control the temperature I was just looking for any experience.

https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=653

I can't comment specifically on the Auber WiFi controller for your WSM, but I have had great luck controlling my 18" WSM at those sorts of temperatures using my PartyQ. I use my WSM for smoking sausage and making Canadian Bacon all the time. I set my WSM up using a wrapped clay saucer in my water pan. I place the middle rack in the WSM and use it to mount the temp probes for both my Smoke thermometer and the Party Q and simply run the wires out the door. I use either my hanging rack or the top grate depending on what I am smoking. With the hanging rack I have 12 inches between the rods and the bottom grate which is plenty of space for what I do. I use nothing but new Kingsford BB briquettes for consistency. I light it with a single starter cube in the middle of the charcoal. I give in 10 minutes to start then I add my desired smoke wood to where it is burning. I put the smoker together at that point, close the bottom vents and install the ATC and use it to bring the smoker up to temp. I leave the top vent 100% open at this point and I normally set the ATC to 100 and set the alarm on my smoke for 110. My PartyQ always overshoots the temp by about 10 degrees initially then settles back down at the right point. When the temp alert goes off, I close the top vent to 25% and set the temp controller to 120, reset the Smoke to 180 and get the meat ready to be put on. I use my hanging rack a lot so that is when I put the meat on the bars. When the WSM gets to 120 I put the meat in place, give it 10 minutes and then turn the ATC back on, set the temp to 120, and set my timer to 1 hr. For most sausage I reset the temp to 130 for 1 hr, then 150 for 2 hrs, and 170 until it is finished with the proper internal temp. I never touch the vents and do all the driving with the ATC. Works great. I have done smokes like this for close to 12 hrs. Long smokes may take a little playing with the temp controller if your temp stops dropping but for normal length smoke it remains very staple and consistent throughout. Good luck with it.

Awesome. Thanks for the input. I suppose you're right my question was more specific to the smoker style not necessarily the controller running the fan.

I'm very intrigued by your hanging rack. Do you have any pictures or linked to what you are referring to?

Thanks again

Here are some pictures of the set up I am speaking about. This is using the Weber hanging rack that is no longer in production for the 18 WSM. May take some looking but they can be found.

CHjFKty

https://imgur.com/gallery/CHjFKty

Last edited:
I have the auber and smoke sausage at those temps on my wsm 18. It works great at low temps. I set the temp a little low as well and then let it stabilize. Sometimes it overshoots, sometimes it don't. That to me is more due to me starting with too many lit coals. I keep all bottom vents closed. Top vent I try to leave wide open. Good luck with whatever you choose. Many good choices out there.

Back