THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

That's an excellent concept! Thanks.

Eric

I spent 20+ years, first as a volunteer worker and later a team member, in an amateur racing organization with structure and participants very similar to those of KCBS. We used to have "social events" after the qualifying sessions on Saturday that allowed the volunteer workers (timing and scoring, safety workers, technical inspectors) a chance to share a drink of choice with drivers and team members. A lot of bench racing and bragging went on and a lot of friendships were made. I wonder if something similar could be done perhaps starting 30 minutes prior to awards through 30 minutes past awards. Judges, volunteers, cooks, dishwashers, family pets can all get together and get to know each other. All members would have to be committed to make this work. It was really easy to go home at the end of a long day at the race track but once you got to the social it was a lot of fun. From there team members can determine if they want someone helping them pack up or unload and set up at the beginning of an event. I can understand anyone being reluctant to accept help from someone they don't know.

Just another idea.

I wonder if something similar could be done perhaps starting 30 minutes prior to awards through 30 minutes past awards. Judges, volunteers, cooks, dishwashers, family pets can all get together and get to know each other. All members would have to be committed to make this work.
Once those awards are done I'm usually pulling out and I'm not alone. Been there for 30+ hours with little sleep, no shower and all I want to do is go home. And before awards we're all doing things.

If there's a pot luck as suggested then do it then. But it's optional.

I'm available all Friday for judges to drop by and say hi. Glad to talk with them. If I'm cooking something for dinner and there's lots they are welcome to a taste.

you misunderstood the message, I think YOU need to cook with a team to see whats its all about, not the judges.

I think that we've all been to this dance before.

If this is meant in a 'wouldn't it be nice' sorta way, fine. If it is meant as a 'this should be a requirement to judge' way, I couldn't disagree more.

The amount of time, effort and expertise that a team puts into their cooking should have no bearing on how their entree is and should be judged.

If the sanctioning body overseeing the event adds an 'effort' category, I would change my mind.

Eric

Well, that's odd. Why do you assume that I haven't?

Eric

you misunderstood the message, I think YOU need to cook with a team to see whats its all about, not the judges.

**EDIT**

Actually, don't bother answering. I shouldn't have invited a thread hijack of my own thread.

What are the Tropheys like this year, hope they are the great wooden hand crafted ones that Sled got last year !

?? Are you talking about for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren? Let's use that to steer the thread back into 'on-topic' area.

With the goal of increasing communication between judges and teams, what to people think about inviting the judges to the potlucks? A number of people have supported that idea, any nay-sayers?

Would that be a problem with association with the judges prior to judging?

If it seems workable, maybe we will try it next week and see how it goes.

Eric

Of the 8 or so Iowa events I know of only 2 that had any Fri. night invite the judges type activities (Lynch Stampede,Independence Brew-B-Que). I read in the Bull Sheet of other contests having Fri night doings. I think it would be great to have a potluck,weinnie roast, whatever to encourge communication and freindships between judges and cook teams. That's the reason I got into judging, now cooking, in the first place. I've made some good freinds and would like to make more...
Personaly, I would like to see the no frat rule for Sat. morning rescinded. Some events we don't camp near by or I just drive in Sat. morning. I see no reason why judges can't stop by and stand up visit for a few minutes. Most check ins are at 10:00 and so what would you see as a judge at 8:30-10:00 that would be considered inapropriate? I asked Mike Lake about it when it was enforced and he said a couple judges were seen ploped down in a teams cook tent and thus ruined it for all the rest. How about we act responsible and get over it......
ModelMaker

?? Are you talking about for the Battle of the BBQ Brethren? Let's use that to steer the thread back into 'on-topic' area.

With the goal of increasing communication between judges and teams, what to people think about inviting the judges to the potlucks? A number of people have supported that idea, any nay-sayers?

Would that be a problem with association with the judges prior to judging?

If it seems workable, maybe we will try it next week and see how it goes.

Eric

This is only somewhat tongue in cheek....

Suggest that the judges bring a dish to share:wink:

Of the 8 or so Iowa events I know of only 2 that had any Fri. night invite the judges type activities (Lynch Stampede,Independence Brew-B-Que). I read in the Bull Sheet of other contests having Fri night doings. I think it would be great to have a potluck,weinnie roast, whatever to encourge communication and freindships between judges and cook teams. That's the reason I got into judging, now cooking, in the first place. I've made some good freinds and would like to make more...
Personaly, I would like to see the no frat rule for Sat. morning rescinded. Some events we don't camp near by or I just drive in Sat. morning. I see no reason why judges can't stop by and stand up visit for a few minutes. Most check ins are at 10:00 and so what would you see as a judge at 8:30-10:00 that would be considered inapropriate? I asked Mike Lake about it when it was enforced and he said a couple judges were seen ploped down in a teams cook tent and thus ruined it for all the rest. How about we act responsible and get over it......
ModelMaker

I understand your point, and agree with it to an extent. In reality though, the rule as it's currently enforced serves to protect both judges and cooks.

Heck and I want to go to their house, while they are making it and allow me a "goodie bag" for me to take home.... :icon_shy

Well, I have been known to do exactly that. Over the past two or three years we have made somewhere around 3000 ABT's (stuffed jalapenos) from a recipe I came up with after reading barbecue web sites on the topic. I take them with me to contests and usually have no problem finding a team with a pit fired up willing to cook them. I'll have some at the Jack again this year. I have also freely shared the recipe with anyone who asked about it. While I have cooked several contests with different teams and started out at the first contest I attended with a cook team, I most often am in the judging tent as a judge or table captain on Saturday. Maybe the difference is that I do make an effort to show up on Friday to visit with the teams. I am fortunate to have met many cook team members I consider to be friends and hope they feel the same way.

ModelMaker

Agreed on Friday Night Fraternizing. That is a lot of fun, and a good opportunity to build comraderie.

I respectfully disagree on rescinding the rule for Saturday Morning Socializing. We as cooks have a job to do, and so do the judges. Why open anything up to impropriety? Not to say that the fairness of the Double Blind System, could be influenced. Why cast that doubt?

(Generally speaking) How would you feel if you were a new team on the circuit, and saw that a veteran team who won that day, had social hour that morning with many of the judges prior to turn ins? How would you know that there was no tasting going on? Just because the meats might not be done, doesn't mean the sauces aren't ready. And so on.

After turn ins, any judge is welcome at our site (except one - Goodsmoke would know who:). Come on in, have a taste if you can bear it, and a drink. Tell me all about what you saw that day. What entries were great, what wasn't? What did you like? Etc. Its also, another good opportunity to build friendships, without possibly influencing scoring. Remember, at that point, the Fat Lady has sung.

Well, I have been known to do exactly that. Over the past two or three years we have made somewhere around 3000 ABT's (stuffed jalapenos) from a recipe I came up with after reading barbecue web sites on the topic. I take them with me to contests and usually have no problem finding a team with a pit fired up willing to cook them. I'll have some at the Jack again this year. I have also freely shared the recipe with anyone who asked about it. While I have cooked several contests with different teams and started out at the first contest I attended with a cook team, I most often am in the judging tent as a judge or table captain on Saturday. Maybe the difference is that I do make an effort to show up on Friday to visit with the teams. I am fortunate to have met many cook team members I consider to be friends and hope they feel the same way.

I'll have 2 smokers!!! :roll:

should be right along the creek, hopefully across from the picnic pavillion.

I'll have 2 smokers!!! :roll:

should be right along the creek, hopefully across from the picnic pavillion.

Just don't try to pack a goodie bag to take home....
True story; I took 144 ABT's to a large contest last year. I had them divided up into 6 separate containers so I could share them to be cooked at six different team sites. One of the teams had sampled them at a previous contest and instead of cooking them to share with others on that night, he hid them and took them home to cook later for himself.
I think I can find your spot at the Jack...:biggrin:

You clearly get it!:mrgreen: Part of my point was that I'd hate to see newer judge open themselves up to the razzing that could come showing up empty handed on Friday night:eek:

You clearly get it!:mrgreen: Part of my point was that I'd hate to see newer judge open themselves up to the razzing that could come showing up empty handed on Friday night:eek:

I never experienced any razzing at all. Years ago when I was a neophyte judge, I would go to contests on Friday and visit with teams. Many times I was invited back for breakfast on Saturday morning (before the fraternization rule). The hospitality I experienced on those weekends is the main reason I came up with the idea of making the stuffed peppers and taking them to contests to share. Cooks know some effort goes into making those things and they appreciate it just as I appreciate the effort it takes to compete in a contest. Unfortunately I do think I am part of a minority in the judging tent. There are many judges who may only judge 3 or 4 contests a year. They show up on Saturday morning, pick up their goodie bag, and leave as soon as judging is over. They are the ones who really have no idea what it takes to get that entry onto their judging plate.

I'll vouch for everything Mark has said, and then some!

The boy does, in fact, make friends.

Just sorry I'll have to wait until Memphis for another sample of them Turds...or sausages...or Tequila...or Tanqueray...well, you get the message!

Just don't try to pack a goodie bag to take home....
True story; I took 144 ABT's to a large contest last year. I had them divided up into 6 separate containers so I could share them to be cooked at six different team sites. One of the teams had sampled them at a previous contest and instead of cooking them to share with others on that night, he hid them and took them home to cook later for himself.
I think I can find your spot at the Jack...:biggrin:

No goodie bags for me Mark!!! lol

Back