THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Great write up on Brethren - daninnewjersey down at the Margate Farmer's Market, Congratulations to you Brother.....

http://www.philly.com/philly/column...ed-salmon-from-margates-bbq-pit-20170712.html

They say that barbecue is a regional thing. So it’s not really all that surprising that the hottest new thing in Margate’s barbecue scene is kippered smoked salmon. Of course, Downbeach BBQ’s Dan Greenberg, a chiropractor by trade and pitmaster by passion, also makes some serious dry-rubbed pork spare ribs in the converted propane-tank smoker that has been an aromatic fixture at Margate’s Thursday morning farmers’ market that sets up in season behind Steve & Cookie’s By the Bay.

But the neighborhood’s large Jewish contingent began asking for a local smoked-salmon fix, and after considerable experimentation, Greenberg has delivered some outstanding fish. No wonder he has been selling out his weekly 25-pound batch by 10:15 a.m. Unlike the cold-smoked variety most often found in stores, which has a glossy, uncooked texture, this fish is hot-smoked or “kippered” in a simple overnight cure, then slow-cooked at a low temperature in the warm mists of Jersey oak smoke. The resulting fish has a flaky, cooked consistency, but it’s still incredibly moist and luscious, with a lightly sweet and vividly smoky profile that is ready for its beach-side schmear.

— Craig LaBan

Last edited:
Congrats Dan!
0a5e89b0f365c44d71b0c55a2caf2264.jpg

"The resulting fish has a flaky, cooked consistency, but it’s still incredibly moist and luscious, with a lightly sweet and vividly smoky profile that is ready for its beach-side schmear."

Want :hungry:

Thanks for all the kind words. Been super busy or I would have been on here a lot sooner. The farmer's market is going pretty well....ribs are selling well as is the salmon. The salmon is something I worked on all winter to get it where I wanted it to be.

The Craig Laban article was a big surprise. He bought some about a month ago and I had no idea. Got a phone call one evening and it was Craig. He did about a 20 minute interview. Nervous isn't nearly a strong enough word for how I felt during that call :biggrin1::biggrin1:

Anyway, I sell at the Margate Farmer's market every Thursday from
8:30 AM-noon. Last one is August 31 so if any of you would like to come by and say hi that would be awesome. Thanks again.....

Back