Are all store sold spices created equal?

I can't speak for rubs or seasoning, but the gentleman that replied WalMart does not produce there items is correct. I work at a Walnut Factory and did at almond Factory as well. Walk Mart buys our product the exact same item we sell with out logo just there bag is Great Value, as does Costco.We have film made to there specs, as well as all snack items

So would be interesting to know where the rub manufacturers source their individual spices. These guys want to make money which usually means buying from the cheapest source. Granted, some may buy premium raw materials and sell at that premium, but how would one know unless the rub maker specifically states where they are sourcing.

So would be interesting to know where the rub manufacturers source their individual spices. These guys want to make money which usually means buying from the cheapest source. Granted, some may buy premium raw materials and sell at that premium, but how would one know unless the rub maker specifically states where they are sourcing.

We spend a lot of time and money sourcing and buying top quality ingredients because we believe you can taste the difference.

I can’t speak for others

Only company I liked for pre-mixed rubs was Nantucket Offshore, but they're apparently OOB now. They made one called Mt. Olympus that was excellent on lamb and another called Mediterranean Rub that was great on thick cut pork chops. Nantucket was cool. Pretty much zero salt in their rubs, allowing me to add the sea salt of my choice.

Mix my own rubs now using individual spices from Frontier Co-op. They offer some seasoning mixes but prefer choosing my own per task, along with my favorite sea salt.

the sample pack offers good variety.

I really like the Santa Maria rub but you cant go wrong with any of the llineup. I'll have to say to I really enjoy what simply marvelous has to offer also

Another vote for the sample pack. Great way to try different options affordably. Also, while the packs are small, they are enough for a least one large hunk of meat (a packer of pork shoulder).

Thanks but I do read the labels. Salt is the first listed ingredient on everyone I've looked at. It's probably because the majority of our shopping is at the local Walmart.
I've gone to my own SPOG but I know there's better options out there.
I may give Oakridge a try.
Is there one that you can recommend as a starter?

Sample pack is a great way to start.
And their comp beef and pork rub works on a lot of things really well.

I used to buy herbs and spices from Penzey's before the raised the prices and became political. Someone posted an apolitical alternative but I failed to bookmark it. Does anyone remember who that was?

If you live in an area that has them, I have found the spices at Indian Groceries to be of good quality. I think it is a combination of Indian Cuisine's focus on spices and the volume that they sell keeping new stock on the shelves.

I used to buy herbs and spices from Penzey's before the raised the prices and became political. Someone posted an apolitical alternative but I failed to bookmark it. Does anyone remember who that was? <snip>

Is this it?
https://www.thespicehouse.com/

I believe it is the same family that own Penzey's but without the religious/political spin. No cheaper though.

Back