THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No such luck!!

I checked out the site. There is no, " Do it Best" within 50 miles of me!:icon_frow What a bummer!! Seemed like a sweet deal. If anyone knows of a cheap source, similar to the one mentioned, please let me know.

Matt

Dude, ride up to Ellijay Ga. during the fall trimming. !0 years ago you could get all the apple and peach you wanted. Granted they might have got wise since then and added a fee. But still a great source.

Thanks for that info Saiko there is a store 2 miles from my house just ordered 30.00 worth of chunks ship to store. saved about 25.00 in shipping cost excelent!

I have boatloads of apple I've already chunked up, maybe 100 gallons or so. I don't know that much about shipping, wonder how much you could cram into one of those USPS priority mail flat rate envelopes, the bigger ones. Anyway, I'd be interested in swapping some for some peach or hickory or ??

seattlepitboss

I also just ordered 10 pounds of apple and 10 pounds of cherry. The nearest store that I can ship to is 36 miles away. That little bit of fuel cost FAR outweighs shipping costs. Many thanks to Saiko for the heads up!

Better believe I've got this one bookmarked.

Russ

I have boatloads of apple I've already chunked up, maybe 100 gallons or so. I don't know that much about shipping, wonder how much you could cram into one of those USPS priority mail flat rate envelopes, the bigger ones. Anyway, I'd be interested in swapping some for some peach or hickory or ??

seattlepitboss

I've shipped oak and cherry in the USPS large flat-rate box....got about 15 lbs. of oak in one box. $12.90 to ship it. The postmaster said it would have cost over $30 to ship it by weight!! It's not quite as good of a deal as the ship-to-store is, but, better than paying most sites' shipping on top of the price of the wood...:wink:

L8r,
Eric

I just ordered apple, pecan, cherry and RO lump today from Do It Best. Will post results when I pick it up.

Again this site comes through. Just did my Hardware store order for Apple. Thanks

SAIKO, THANKS!!! This is a HUGE savings!!!! Being of the central Georgia persuasion,
its tough for us to find jack-squat without having to drive to da-burbs of Atlanta...

Picked mine up yesterday from the store. Some good lookin chunks.

would be nice to be able to trade wood with someone.i have and over abundance of pecan.would swap for apple or hickory since there is none in south georgia.do travel to nc and n ga a good bit.

Been trying to find a cheap source of apple wood here in Georgia (I can throw a rock and hit 5 hickory trees though). I googled "apple wood atlanta" and found a thread about a "ship to store" option with Do It Best Hardware. Evidently you can order 10 pound bags of wood chunks, and as long as you have it shipped to your local store you don't have to pay any shipping. They call you when it gets there and you go pick it up. They have 10 lb bags of apple, cherry and pecan for about $8.29.

Don't know how common theses stores are since I've never actually heard of them, but there is one about 12 miles from my house so I ordered two bags. I checked the store locator and they seem to have stores all over, but dunno. Anyhoo, just thought I'd mention it. Not trying to push a vendor but that seems like a decent deal when you aren't paying any shipping.

Linky:
http://doitbest.com/search-wood+chunks.dib

I have done this several times and it works great and saves money.

Back