THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joe Steel

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
This kept me out of trouble yesterday. Another first for me on the Ugly Drum Smoker -- an apple and cherry stuffed pork loin.

The idea just sounded good. So I googled a couple of "apple stuffed pork loin" recipes and landed on this [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp-p5PZZ3Q4"]YouTube video[/ame].

Seemed simple, short and sweet. Just the way I like my recipes! I modified it a little for cooking on the drum -- but not much. It's pretty fun because nothing is measured.

Ingredient list
Boneless pork loin

Stuffing
Prosciutto
Bread crumbs
Apple
Dried cherries
Goat cheese

IMG_6010.jpg

Topping
Coarse mustard
Balsamic Vinegar
Rosemary

I started with a boneless pork loin roast from Costco. I thought it was a single piece of meat. It looked like one 5.86 pound log. When I got it home, I was initially bummed that it was cut into two pieces (lengthwise). Then I realized I could still work with what I had. I would just end up with two stuffed pork loins.

I read a few tips on butter-flying a pork loin. Pretty easy. Just like you would expect. Start cutting, trying to keep an even thickness as you "unroll" it.

Here are my two boneless pork loins butterflied. I'm guessing that they're each between 2.5 - 3 pounds.

hJUFS7Kc5PFjFGjrwMqOWwqtXXqsC-_9zvnJq5JxXvg
IMG_6007.jpg

Once laid out flat, you salt and pepper the pork. Put down a layer of prosciutto, and then cover it with bread crumbs.

IMG_6011.jpg

Heating up the apples in a skillet with butter just to soften them up a bit. For my two pork loins I needed about 1.5 apples.

IMG_6006.jpg

Add the apples, dried cherries, and crumbled goat cheese

IMG_6012.jpg

Roll it up and tie it with butcher's string

IMG_6015.jpg

IMG_6018.jpg

Salt and pepper the outside

IMG_6019.jpg

Make the topping. Again, don't measure anything.

IMG_6020.jpg

Topping mixed up

IMG_6021.jpg

Stuffed pork loin, with mustard / balsamic vinegar topping ready for the drum

IMG_6023.jpg

Loaded on the drum

IMG_6025.jpg

When I dropped the pork loins on the grill it was about 320 degrees. I slowly dropped the temp down to about 275. At about 1.5 hrs the internal temp was between 140 and 160 degrees. At that point I pulled them from the drum, wrapped them in foil and put them in a cooler (for heat insulation) with a couple of towels to "rest" (it was still early in the day, and I want them warm for later in the afternoon). (I should have pulled them a little sooner, or cooked at a lower temp. The meat was good, but ever so slightly on the dry side. Still, very acceptable according to my wife, who pulls no punches in her critique)

Before wrapping and stashing for later

IMG_6032.jpg

Finally! Time to eat!

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6039.jpg

Plated up

IMG_6045.jpg

And lastly, something to wash it down

IMG_6047.jpg

Here are all the same pics and the same write up on my little blog (link)

Thanks again for this great forum to share and learn. Really appreciate it.

Joe

Last edited:
It looks spectacular.. really nice job, pics, write-up.
(ps - gotta change out your Topping ingredient list to 'Rosemary', not sage.)

(ps - gotta change out your Topping ingredient list to 'Rosemary', not sage.)

Doh! You're right! Thanks for the catch!

Wow, that's a keeper. Is it difficult to get an accurate meat IT reading when you have a filling?

I thought that it might be, but you can access the meat from the end (where you can see where your poking the thermometer). Also, you can feel the difference when you're inserting the thermometer from the middle of the log. The stuffing has less resistance when the point is going through compared to the meat.

Back