THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
For the Appetizers throwdown here -
https://bbq-brethren.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274391

Something I've never made before but was willing to give it a go:

Rhode Island Clam Cakes

In other parts of the country these would be called Clam Fritters as they certainly don't resemble a cake, but in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts they're called Clam Cakes. I've had them a few times, first at the Rhode Island Building at The Big E out in Springfield MA (an enormous State Fair held in Sept). One serving and I was hooked.

I searched for various recipes, many claiming to be "authentic" Rhode Island Clam Cakes. Who knows what's authentic and what's not? I picked one that I felt was reasonable and set out today to make it.

I made it two ways, one that attempted to be healthier and the other more traditional. So here goes.

Start out by washing, scrubbing and then steaming Quahogs and CherryStones. These Quahogs are pretty huge -

and the CherryStones aren't too far behind in size -

Into the steamer pot they go, till they pop open, about 10 minutes. Fortunately I had no clunkers and they all opened -

Remove the clam meat, rinse out any unwanted gunk and chop them into decent sized pieces. They get mixed with flour, baking powder and salt for the dry ingredients. This recipe called for clam juice, beer, milk and eggs that are mixed with the clams, then added to the dry ingredients, looking like this -

I needed to add additional flour vs. what the recipe called for, otherwise these would have looked like funnel cakes instead of clam cakes. It's a reasonably stiff but pourable mixture.

The healthier baking experiment ready for the Goldens' -

Meanwhile, over on the Blackstone I wanted to use as little oil as possible so I broke out my CI loaf pan and prayed I could get the oil temp up to 350. Fortunately I was able to do so. My other thought was attempting to regulate hot oil on a Kamado is a disaster waiting to happen. At least if I get splashover on the Blackstone it'll be seasoning for the griddle top. And I don't have to deal with the smell of frying oil in the house -

Baked Clam Cakes are done after 10 minutes on the Goldens' -

They tasted fine, but this isn't what I was shooting for -

Oil's up to temp and the first two are in -

And looking pretty good on that first turn -

Turning golden brown and ready to be scooped out -

I won't bore you with any more frying pics, let's get to the plating and eating these delights! -

Supposedly they're normally served with Clam Chowder so they can be dipped into it, but I wasn't making Chowder today, so Cocktail Sauce will have to do -

What does the inside look like? Perfect, exactly as I remember them, though I think mine are better :mrgreen: -

I made about 15 in total, lost count of how many I ate. It would have been more had I not experimented with baking some -

That's it. Dom's take on Rhode Island Clam Cakes. An extremely successful experiment. Oh yeah, the final verdict - these tasted awesome! I would make these again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

Regards,
-lunchman

Great job...look excellent. Some of the versions I've had are more cakey than yours...and that is not a good thing to me as it can really weigh you down after having only a few. The inside of your looks much better to me.

They are awesome when dipped in cream chowder.

Those look great! I like you method of deep frying in the cast iron loaf pan. Is the pan being heated on a Blackstone?

Great job...look excellent. Some of the versions I've had are more cakey than yours...and that is not a good thing to me as it can really weigh you down after having only a few. The inside of your looks much better to me.

They are awesome when dipped in cream chowder.

Thanks!! A thumbs up from a Rhode Islander is a good thing!

I found recipes all over the place, some claiming they were true to the Rocky Point Amusement Park version (I wouldn't know, never went there). Others saying they were like Aunt Carrie's Clam Shack (never been there either). I've only had these a few times and the intent yesterday was to make my own since I am always up for a challenge.

For those interested, the recipe I used was from this site, which I stumbled upon yesterday in my research -

https://food52.com/recipes/13851-clam-cakes-my-rhode-island-style

I did omit the corn (never seen corn in a RI Clam Cake), used Sam Adams instead of 'Gansett and have no idea what the Maple Syrup in the recipe was supposed to be for so didn't use that either. (Comments afterwards state it was to be mixed with the wet ingredients. Ummm, no. )

Oh, and I did wind up using a LOT more flour, but I have no idea exactly how much since I was adding it in little by little to get the right consistency. I'd guess about another cup.

I did use over 2 cups of clams in these, you certainly want to see and taste clams in every bite. For those without access to fresh clams, I suppose canned ones would have to do.

And I agree with those who voted for the fried versions, they were far superior to my baked experimental ones. My other thought was to drop spoonfuls of batter directly on the Blackstone. I'm sure they would have been good, but would turn out like cakes. I'd had enough experimentation for one day.

Now to figure out the best way of reheating these for today. Definitely NOT the microwave, I'll more than likely reheat in the oven.

Give these a try, they were a load of fun to make.

Regards,
-Dom

Those look great! I like you method of deep frying in the cast iron loaf pan. Is the pan being heated on a Blackstone?

Yes, the loaf pan was heated directly on the Blackstone. I did manage to get the oil temp up to 350 which was a good thing.

I suppose an outdoor fryer might be on the wish list if I get into the habit of making these.

Back