THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokeFan

Full Fledged Farker
My wife is a school teacher and every once in a while they have luncheons where they are all supposed to bring something. My wife's grade level was responsible for a "main" and I decided to do something a little special. Those teachers work really hard, and don't get nearly the appreciation they deserve.

With that said, I decided to do a stuffed pork loin. I've done lots of tenderloins, but not the whole loin. So I turned to APL's Serious Barbeque, and found a recipe with a good brine, glaze and technique. But I wanted to kick it up a notch, and his wasn't stuffed. I settled on a riff off something I saw online using mustard, spinach, apricots, prosciutto and pine nuts.

Here's his recipe, it's the same one i have in my book, so I doubt he cares if it's shared.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Glazed-Pork-Loin-with-Cilantro-and-Garlic-352949

I brined the 8lb loin using APL's Brine over night, but failed to get any pics. :tsk:

This morning I butterflied the loin open, and pounded a bit flat, as seen here:
C91BD371-7936-4E5D-863E-DEABBFA7FAB3_zpsjtcuhgcw.jpg

Spread a little mustard on it:

3DC31E33-7E46-4C92-9818-18451717DCC6_zps1wvmy7fv.jpg

Then some good spinach and good prosciutto:

5D39FD75-DB21-42B7-B4D0-69A00A6AFB7F_zpskdndnzkh.jpg

Also layered it in with chopped dried apricots and roasted pine nuts, but got carried away and forgot the pic.

Next I rolled it and tied it:

66812ED2-FCEC-4B10-9278-1CA5516B6A9F_zpssuy1cqg3.jpg

Rubbed it down with oil, and then the APL recipe rub, plus I added about 3/4 T ground espresso.

9f5b486f-5578-49a1-9984-5ff070a96a2e_zps7fd88b1a.jpg

On to the BGE it went, I had it running at about 275, with Oak lump and Cherry chunks.

1D9118D8-E796-4324-BA19-62595BA5A89C_zpse4cdbv2a.jpg

Once the internal temp hit about 135, I started glazing.

CA61CDFB-AB7A-46F7-B52B-120BFB78517B_zpsthciiprm.jpg

I glazed 3 or 4 more times until I hit 150 on the temp, and pulled the loin to rest. I added the extra 5 degrees just to be on the safe side, since it was for a whole bunch of people I don't know so well. I'm sure it went up another few degrees during the rest. But it was tender and juicy.

After the rest, I sliced it up, trayed it, sprinkled with some remaining glaze, cilantro and some Maldon's Sea Salt.

0C1110B2-E1E1-47E6-A93B-9B4BF5320E1F_zpsoequbu6o.jpg

Havent heard any reports yet, but the piece I ate for safety's sake( :rolleyes: ) was sure delicious. That APL glaze was crazy good.

Hope the teacher's enjoyed it, they deserve that and more! :clap2:

Thanks for looking! :grin:

Good man taste testing it before sending it on -very responsible of you.

That looks great - I am sure they were blown away.

Thanks for all the kinda remarks, ya'll. I guess it turned out ok, as my wife said there was nothing left to bring home, and she heard comments about it all afternoon. 8 lbs of smoked pork loin, wiped out by a pack of hungry elementary school teachers!

Makes me smile. :)

Back