THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
I keep trying to get better, but I just haven't been able to make this dish really pop like I want it to.

Restaurant quality chicken fried chicken is better than what I can make at home for some reasons and that's starting to frustrate me.

I've tried pan frying, deep frying, seasoned flour with and without an egg dredge (double dredge), panko after the flour dredge. You name it, I have tried it, and the flavor/texture of the chicken is just lacking. The breading typically falls off too easily, and there is no pop to the flavor even though I go heavy-handed on the flour seasoning.

Help a brother out!

I keep trying to get better, but I just haven't been able to make this dish really pop like I want it to.

Restaurant quality chicken fried chicken is better than what I can make at home for some reasons and that's starting to frustrate me.

I've tried pan frying, deep frying, seasoned flour with and without an egg dredge (double dredge), panko after the flour dredge. You name it, I have tried it, and the flavor/texture of the chicken is just lacking. The breading typically falls off too easily, and there is no pop to the flavor even though I go heavy-handed on the flour seasoning.

Help a brother out!

I usually coat the chicken and then place it on a cooling rack and let it set for 30 minutes or so. This way I get a crispier crust that does not fall off.

We seldom eat out, but a guilty pleasure is fried chicken.
800-1200mg sodium per serving
Depending on which knock off recipe add MSG
Try some Cavenders original or Cavenders No Salt And add Accent

There used to be a Facebook screen shot of an allegedly Disgruntled ex KFC employee giving up the herbs and spices.

Pound the chicken flat with a mallet and cook in a cast iron skillet and seems using peanut oil is used by some restaurants

The only allergy I Have is penicillins. Wife zero. Possible food allergies and intolerance might be an issue to some

Flour
Milk/Egg Wash
Seasoned Flour

Rest on a rack

Cast iron chicken fryer (deep skillet) 325° - 350°

Peanut oil 1/2" deep

Cook one side until golden, the flip and do the other side.

Cool on rack

(Deep frying encapsulates the steam and makes the batter separate. Frying one side allow the steam to escape the other side.)

I don't care for chicken breast except for the breaded/fried version. There's nothing left on the table when I make this recipe:
Slice breasts into thin slabs (or buy them sliced thin)
Tenderize gently with mallet
LIGHTLY sprinkle with salt, pepper and complete seasoning on both sides
Dredge beasts in flower (shake off excess)
Dunk each piece in scrambled egg (no milk) and coat with bread crumbs one at a time
About half inch of peanut oil in large skillet heated to temp that will gently sizzle but not burn chicken when placed in skillet
Fry to golden brown (about four minutes on each side)
In advance boil diced potatoes and drain.
Chop some fresh parsley (half cup)
When all the chicken is done, drain most of the oil out of pan. (The browned crumbs from the chicken fry stay in the pan.)
Toss chopped parsley in skillet (still on heat) mix with the remaining oil and crumbs/ toss in potatoes and gently warm/fry to taste.
Serve with a nice leafy salad.

You can try adapting Kent Rollins's chicken fried steak recipe. It's good.

If the chicken is on the bone, then I use cast iron pan, about 1/2 depth of mix of shortening and bacon grease. Take flour, add some salt and black pepper and put mix into a bag. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat. When oil is hot add a few pieces of chicken, not too many or oil will overflow. Cook chicken, to turning yet, till oil "calms down". Then tour chicken over and cook again till the oil "calms down". Keep repeating this process until the oil is always calm when turning the chicken. Remove and set on paper towels. Repeat with rest of chicken.

If the chicken is on the bone, then I use cast iron pan, about 1/2 depth of mix of shortening and bacon grease. Take flour, add some salt and black pepper and put mix into a bag. Add chicken pieces and shake to coat. When oil is hot add a few pieces of chicken, not too many or oil will overflow. Cook chicken, to turning yet, till oil "calms down". Then tour chicken over and cook again till the oil "calms down". Keep repeating this process until the oil is always calm when turning the chicken. Remove and set on paper towels. Repeat with rest of chicken.

I've used vegetable oil. Maybe changing up the oil could help things flavor wise.

Great tips from everyone. Unfortunately for the most part it is what I'm doing!

The best fried chicken is made in a pressure cooker - I don't have one - The instant pot doesn't work for this.

Truly memorable home fried chicken is somewhat elusive. The Missus made a pretty darn good fried chicken that we were happy(not ecstatic, but happy) with, but it still wasn't the kind of fried chicken that you couldn't stop thinking about and would make your mouth water when you would think about it.

And then, thanks to someone posting here on the Brethren several years ago about a seasoning mix called "Lefty's", I decided to get some and asked The Missus to give it a try. It was outstanding, and with a few minor prep tweaks, that elusive fried chicken became a reality.

0018690500014_A

Here's a picture of the fried chicken:

FRIED%20CHICKEN%201_zpsijz8aeft.jpg

Instructions:

The Missus marinates the chicken first with a bit of water and some Lefty's for about one hour. Then, she puts the chicken in a ziplock bag with some more lefty's and gets the chicken coated, then removes the chicken and lets it sit out for 10 mins. Then, back in the bag to get a second coating, then out of the bag again, for an additional 10 mins, then into a hot cast iron skillet with enough oil to cover 50-60% of the chicken when the oil reaches 300 degrees. Once the chicken is in the oil, you'll want to turn the heat up as the chicken will cause the oil temp to drop. Fry the chicken in batches(start with dark meat first) so you don't overcrowd the skillet.

NOTE: We found Lefty's to be very affordable by purchasing online for store pick up at Walmart, but it, like a growing number of food items, are currently unavailable. It does appear to be available at the Lefty's website, though:

https://www.leftyspices.com/

Going to be real hard to duplicate restaurant quality fried food at home for a variety of reasons. Here's a couple -

• You're likely starting with a fresh dry flour dredge. Commercial kitchens do a lot of volume which affects their dredge in a positive way, in that the wetness of whatever they're dunking starts to form little clumps within the flour. These little clumps stick to whatever is being dredged and that's where you get all those flavorful textures, nooks and crannies on the fried product. You can try to emulate this at home by dribbling in some buttermilk into your seasoned flour and stirring it around. It should look like breadcrumbs almost, not sifted flour.
  • Brand new cooking oil doesn't brown as well as older oil that's been used to fry multiple batches
  • For reasons I can never figure out, commercial breading (even the kind you buy at the supermarket) tastes better and provides better results than what I can make at home. They're likely engineered with more than just flour... but corn starch and other ingredients.
  • Brine your chicken... pickle juice is a good one.
  • MSG - when in doubt, season your dredge and eggwash with a little MSG. Commercial seasoning flour is usually packed with the stuff.

Test fry a piece or two with a 50/50 mixture of flour and cornstarch. This may be
what you're looking for.
As already mentioned, pre-season the chicken prior to frying.

I dont have a killer recipe, but I have two things I like to do to amp up flavor. 1. Season the chicken first, then roll in flour, then in a wet mix (buttermilk, egg) then in seasoned flour.
2. Marinade in buttermilk and lots of hotsauce. Then dry and follow #1.

When we preseason the chicken beforehand, I think it makes the flavor so much better. I had Fried chicken, fish, pork chops a long time ago, that was either dipped or soaked in hotsauce before battered, and became my favorite. The place I had it from used Louisiana Brand sauce

I use Runion mix, buy it in 35lbs box, egg/milk wash lite coating, if you want the coating to stick put in the fridge for a few hours. this mix is great for vegetables also , no spices to add unless you want something hot added

Back