THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I started competing on WSM's in 2009. Since then I bought a Diamond Plate Fat40 and sold it after about 1 year of competing. When I sold my Fat40 I looked into Pellet Poopers. I first started looking at the Louisisna Grills (Whole Hog) and borrowed one for a few competitions. I was almost ready to purchase one then I saw the Yoder YS640. I ended up buying the Yoder and had a few issues with it. I went through 3 different panels and the Temps were all over the place. I do have to say that Yoder and BBQ Island in Tempe where I purchased it were very accomodating and did everything they could to help me out. Yoder actually sent me a new panel overnight shipping free of cost - and BBQ Island did the same. I had an employee of BBQ Island come to my house to install the new panel, move the temp probe, and update the panel with new software. While he was there testing the unit - he moved it a little bit and the plug came out of the back - Instantly the panel "blew up". There were sparks and smoke coming out of it. Time for panel number 3!! It got fixed and I had a competition coming up so I took it. The temps had me sweating - I was getting readings from 150 - 400. I decided to take it back in and get WSM's. Back to where I started. For me - I do not want the stress of constantly worring about some electrical issue out at a comp. I do have Pitmaster IQ's on my WSM's but I can still run them consistently if needed if electricy goes out. I do like the look/build of the Yoder and I have heard that alot of the "bugs" have been worked out. I hope this helps.

Can't wait to see it uncrated.

Just fired her up. Was up to 250* in about 20 minutes in 28* weather. Control panel temp and thermoworks probe thermometer are within a few degrees of each other. Rib cook is planned for tomorrow:clap2:

IMG_3005.jpg

Hopper

IMG_3015.jpg

Firepot & damper

IMG_3009.jpg

Damper pushed in to create two zone cooking

IMG_3010.jpg

Heat diffuser

IMG_3011.jpg

Cooking grates

IMG_3013.jpg

Grease catch and two trailer tie downs on beam

IMG_3018.jpg

Front stainless shelf installed

IMG_3016.jpg

Thanks for sharing pix, Chris. Is the work shelf on the front workable for a short person? Can it be left off. I do like the comp cart, that's pretty sweet. <shameless plug>You got good pellets?

Thanks for sharing pix, Chris. Is the work shelf on the front workable for a short person? Can it be left off. I do like the comp cart, that's pretty sweet. <shameless plug>You got good pellets?

Hey Candy Sue! Both the side and front shelves are removable. The first pic shows the front shelf off. And the last pic shows the shelf on. It's a couple inches lower than the stainless shelf on the Jambo. Seems pretty low to me.

Bought a 100lbs of your pecan pellets today and saw a demo bag of your new charcoal pellets. Bet that would work well in this pit, the 640 is supposed to do well with grilling and high temp cooking.

I am also very interested it getting the latest review of the YS640. I owned a YS640 and had it sent back. I replaced almost everything on the smoker and was still having issues. I had my issues with it, but still might consider getting one. If they were able to fix the problems that I was having. It was built like a tank. Joe and Don wanted it to work for me, but the issues they had was there employees not sending the right stuff out to fix it. I had the unit for a few months and was planning on using it at a comp. After not being able to use it for a comp. It just pushed me over the edge so I had to send it back. Good luck to all the Yoder owners.

Hey Candy Sue! Both the side and front shelves are removable. The first pic shows the front shelf off. And the last pic shows the shelf on. It's a couple inches lower than the stainless shelf on the Jambo. Seems pretty low to me.

Bought a 100lbs of your pecan pellets today and saw a demo bag of your new charcoal pellets. Bet that would work well in this pit, the 640 is supposed to do well with grilling and high temp cooking.

How's the lift on the lid? First couple of times I cooked on the Jambo, I ended up with a bit of muscle strain pushing the lid up. I know Yoders are built like tanks. I can't see any counterweight on the lid.

I do crazy things at comps sometimes. I cooked one in August last year completely with charcoal pellets. Not bad on the big meats, but not enough umph for ribs & chicken, IMO. Interesting thing though, normally the pellet Jambo uses 60 lbs. in moderate weather to cook a competition. With charcoal pellets I got by with 40 lbs. BTU boost big-time. Charcoal pellets are a mix of oak and wood char leavings (lump). I think next time I use them I'll try mixing them in with other flavors to get the extended burn but not sacrifice flavor. I'm thinking sleep in 4 hour bits rather than 3 hours.

My favorite new flavor is the wine soaked oak. Really good stuff, made from small sqares of 1/4" (or so) oak, soaked in red wine to leach the tannins out. Modern day "barrel" aging -- the wine soaks all the way through the wood. First batch of pellets we did 100% soaked oak. Pellets were too hard to go through a solid core auger (worked fine in the pellet Jambo - open auger). Redid them with a blend and now they work fine in any pellet grill.

I am also very interested it getting the latest review of the YS640. I owned a YS640 and had it sent back. I replaced almost everything on the smoker and was still having issues. I had my issues with it, but still might consider getting one. If they were able to fix the problems that I was having. It was built like a tank. Joe and Don wanted it to work for me, but the issues they had was there employees not sending the right stuff out to fix it. I had the unit for a few months and was planning on using it at a comp. After not being able to use it for a comp. It just pushed me over the edge so I had to send it back. Good luck to all the Yoder owners.

Yup, I read about some issues with this unit earlier on. Seems they have some of that stuff licked with the new firmware. Will report back on how it works out for me

How's the lift on the lid? First couple of times I cooked on the Jambo, I ended up with a bit of muscle strain pushing the lid up. I know Yoders are built like tanks. I can't see any counterweight on the lid.

No problem on the lid, there is a counterweight. I think the bigger question for you is if you wanted to bring to a comp, its probably a two person job getting it off/on a trailer. Probably weighs in around 500 lbs but moves pretty good with those wheels.

I'll be getting in touch with a pellet order soon

I do crazy things at comps sometimes. I cooked one in August last year completely with charcoal pellets. Not bad on the big meats, but not enough umph for ribs & chicken, IMO. Interesting thing though, normally the pellet Jambo uses 60 lbs. in moderate weather to cook a competition. With charcoal pellets I got by with 40 lbs. BTU boost big-time. Charcoal pellets are a mix of oak and wood char leavings (lump). I think next time I use them I'll try mixing them in with other flavors to get the extended burn but not sacrifice flavor. I'm thinking sleep in 4 hour bits rather than 3 hours.

My favorite new flavor is the wine soaked oak. Really good stuff, made from small sqares of 1/4" (or so) oak, soaked in red wine to leach the tannins out. Modern day "barrel" aging -- the wine soaks all the way through the wood. First batch of pellets we did 100% soaked oak. Pellets were too hard to go through a solid core auger (worked fine in the pellet Jambo - open auger). Redid them with a blend and now they work fine in any pellet grill.
Picked up some of your new wine soaked pellets and the charcoal pellets from the Parrothead. Awesome stuff there!:hail:

Candy's pellets have won a lot of awards for my team over the years. While I'll be cooking on the Jambo this year. Im not putting away my pellet cookers. I'll still be using my pellet cookers. I enjoy cooking on them and the flavors they produce. And those wine soaked pellets are awesome. I got some from the orginal batch and use them on my Webers. Just awesome with lamb and include it with some BBQr's Delight Herb pellets and you got a killer leg of lamb..

Candy's pellets have won a lot of awards for my team over the years. While I'll be cooking on the Jambo this year. Im not putting away my pellet cookers. I'll still be using my pellet cookers. I enjoy cooking on them and the flavors they produce. And those wine soaked pellets are awesome. I got some from the orginal batch and use them on my Webers. Just awesome with lamb and include it with some BBQr's Delight Herb pellets and you got a killer leg of lamb..

I've got a stash of those 100% wine soaked pellets -- not available anymore. Too hard to go through closed auger system, but work fine with open-type augers. Like my Jambo or Grilla. I use mostly on the BGE for steak and burgers.

I've got a stash of those 100% wine soaked pellets -- not available anymore. Too hard to go through closed auger system, but work fine with open-type augers. Like my Jambo or Grilla. I use mostly on the BGE for steak and burgers.

Candy Sue... Charcoal pellets? I didn't read the entire post, but I am curious. Are they available? Where can I get them?

Thanks!
Toad

Back