THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DR

Take a breath!
I went to Travis Clarks class a couple months ago (Excellent class btw…highly recommend it) and he uses spares that are already St Louis cuts instead of buying whole spares and cutting them himself. I asked why and basically he said they already did the work for you and the price difference is insignificant. I have been to another class where (Rod Grey…Another great class btw) he cut them himself.

SO i am wondering who buys them already St Louis cut from the supplier?

THanks,

It's been many a years ago, but when I was at Rodney's class, he used both.:roll:

I buy the best ribs I can find, regardless if I need to trim them or not. Most of the time that I have used St Louis cut, I needed to touch them up some anyways.

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
It's been many a years ago, but when I was at Rodney's class, he used both.:roll:

I buy the best ribs I can find, regardless if I need to trim them or not. Most of the time that I have used St Louis cut, I needed to touch them up some anyways.

This is my strategy. I prefer St Louis cut just to save myself some time, but I'll cook whatever the best racks I find are.

Kind of feel like I am wasting too much if I cut them .never have figured out how to use the trimmings. Seems like a lot of gristle.
Was at restaurant depot today and they had both with about a dollar a pound
Difference. Seemed like about 30 percent on the price which
Looks like a little less than the waste but not much.

Don't know for sure, but there seems to be a few St. Louis cut ribs here

ribangel.jpg

• Thanks
Like what was mentioned above, I prefer St. Louis but if I can't find any that are good I'll get full spares and cut them. I also just throw the trimmings out.

• Thanks
Back