Anyone own a moberg backyard?

I don't have any use for a top rack, they could leave it out for me. Especially on a 24 X 50 smoker, there's more room on the bottom rack than I would ever use. Top rack just drags down air flow.

Maybe for you, but I imagine most people on this board would easily fill up a direct flow 24x50 when you consider the first foot or so is almost out of the question. If you notice Sunny says 4-5 briskets but Texicana says 2. Even if you never plan to use the top rack, why not make it functional for that one time you may want to use it. It’s just like 4wd on a truck for 99% of people.

Maybe for you, but I imagine most people on this board would easily fill up a direct flow 24x50 when you consider the first foot or so is almost out of the question. If you notice Sunny says 4-5 briskets but Texicana says 2. Even if you never plan to use the top rack, why not make it functional for that one time you may want to use it. It’s just like 4wd on a truck for 99% of people.

If you listen to texicana really closely he actually says "2 rows" row 1, row 2, last brisket here.

Interesting moberg and mill scale both put that little diffuser where fb and cc meet. Always like to see these different philosophies.

Really ?

Franklin doesn't even bother putting a top grate into his pits, which are smaller.

And its optional with Workhorse.

Waste of money and space.

And its optional with Workhorse.

And I've seen videos where the owner of workhorse/primitive pits advises against the top grates. He doesn't like the affect they have on airflow/convection.

I'd personally get one and just remove it as if I NEDDED it it's nice to have. But it made me rethink pit sizing, in a way that I could accommodate 90% of my cooks on one rack.

I'm probably in the minority though. I can't ever see filling up a 24x36 let alone 24x50

And I've seen videos where the owner of workhorse/primitive pits advises against the top grates. He doesn't like the affect they have on airflow/convection.

I'd personally get one and just remove it as if I NEDDED it it's nice to have. But it made me rethink pit sizing, in a way that I could accommodate 90% of my cooks on one rack.

I'm probably in the minority though. I can't ever see filling up a 24x36 let alone 24x50

For me, its not about quantity, its about quality.

I'm not gonna spend $4K on a Moberg so I can feed the little league football team. If that's my goal, then there's other pits that cost far less that would do that job.

I wanna smoke the best dam brisket and ribs I can produce.

I’ve told ECB before, but he’s right on line with my thinking. Most of the time in my Backline pit I would cook without the the top shelf. But there have also been times when I wouldn’t have been able to cook for the people I needed without it. Like I said before, I see it as 4wd on a truck for most people. Most of the time you won’t need it, but that one time you do and don’t have it you will be cursing yourself for not getting it.

I think more and more, that I'm a Franklin smoker guy. His smoker lends to smaller higher quality cooks.

And I like what Franklin has done on the stack end with the concave end cap combined with the collector. I prefer curves over flat walls.

Moberg could have the perfect combo with the elbow on the stack, if he would add a concave end cap, but that would most likely drive the price quite a bit higher.

But I really like what Moberg has done with that deflector, its similar to what Jambo does, it directs heat up and down. I'm not sure Jambo direct heats down. And its not too big. I have a deflector/baffle on my Brazos and I think its too large. Brazos would be a lot better smoker with that Moberg deflector.

Back