Anyone done this with your weiners??

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Once upon a time I lived in a town with a beer, bait, ammo shop. On the counter by the register were three large jars. Inside these jars were pickled eggs, pickled weiners and a live rattlesnake.
Any way the pickled weiners were quite good. Wonder if this stolen meme is close

Last edited:
I wonder if the quality of the weiner makes a difference?
Are.you gonna get the same result from a Hy-Grade or Sugardale weiner as from an Oscar Meier? Do you need one of those high-end locally processed $9.00/lb weiners?
Reckon I'd try that with Hebrew National weiners maybe.

Are.you gonna get the same result from a Hy-Grade or Sugardale weiner as from an Oscar Meier? Do you need one of those high-end locally processed $9.00/lb weiners?

If, and that's a big farkn if I do this, that's a legitimate ponder. Boars head has an uncured skinless, I think.

I love pickled sausages but I've never tried it yet.

I do have some spicy pork/beef snack sticks that I was going to do this with.
Time to pull the trigger. Add plenty of garlic and hot peppers.

Ive pickled smoked sausage and Kielbasa. Not sure i would get desperate enough to pickle hot dogs, lol.

The costco dogs seem like a good choice - either the thin or thick. They're also skinless.

I grew up with pickled ring bologna, a big jar in the fridge. It was a high quality regional bologna. I didn't eat it often but it was.. good.. On a cracker, or just to munch.

I think good pickled hot dogs would be similar, though some, like the costco dogs, do have a more complicated spice profile compared to traditional bologna.

Back in the mid 80's my wife brought home recipe for pickled sausage that you cooked for a while in the apple cider vinegar/hot sauce/cayenne pepper brine. At some point in the cooking process the vapors from the pot caused us to coughing, eyes watering and sneezing. We had to go outside for fresh air. We ended up with a really great pickled sausage, but due to the side effects of the cooking process, never attempted them again. Probably would do it outside now. Back then we only had a cheap Meco charcoal grill.

I doubt she has the recipe anymore.

I might give this recipe a run.

Thanks,

Robert

I tried pickled sausage once... not a fan. :-o But if that's your thing it doesn't sound like a bad recipe with the added japs and onions talked about.

I'd do Costco

If, and that's a big farkn if I do this, that's a legitimate ponder. Boars head has an uncured skinless, I think.

Big if here too.....but if I did, I'd have to get a tall jar....as that I'd use my current favorite hot dog, the long Costco Beef Hot Dogs....

Love those things....

I have done it and they weren't the best but I also cheated. I used the store bought Fischer's Red Hot juice when the jar was empty. I refilled with hotdogs but it wasn't the same. The hotdogs weren't pickled like the Red Hots. I think boiling the brine might be the trick. This cheating did work on eggs though.

Any places near you sell Vollwerth's? I have to drive an hour to the nearest place that sells them.

I'd make these - word would get to my doctor- she'd ask questions - and I'd have to lie to her about how many I made and how many I ate.

I think back to the smoked bbq spam block of a few years ago...at the whole damn can at one sitting... A gallon of pickled weenies would surely kill me.

let me know how yours goes, k?

Back