THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

electron_si

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
N/A
I'm in the process of modding my Lil Tex Elite based on some other forums I've read for direct grilling. My current setup is removed restrictor rod and a Savannah Stoker V4. I can hit temps north of 400 with everything installed and B&B pellets which will probably be 450+ running Traeger pellets since they seem to burn hotter.

I was planning on buying the 19.25" Grill Grates and removing my stock grate and drip pan. The question I had was about removing the deflector. I've seen guys cook on a Yoder 640 directly over the firepot with grill grates. Does anyone do that on their Traeger, and if so, have you had any issues with grease dripping into the fire pot and causing problems.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question...but I have a MAK 1 Star and can kind of speak to your question. IMO pellet poopers make awesome smokers/wood fired ovens. They do not make for a good grill. Even if you can get your temp up to 450°, it's only in the center of your grill, and IMO pretty hard on your smoker from wear-n-tear perspective. I highly recommend using something as simple as a small Weber Kettle for your hot n fast cooking. A kettle and charcoal fire makes searing effortless. The combo of pellet pooper/kettle is hard to beat. Using the 2 side by side makes reverse searing a breeze as well. I guess what I am saying is this...I've had pellet smokers for years...I have tried numerous methods for grilling on them...every single time has been a disappointment when comparing it to what I know a charcoal fire can do.

Last edited:
Itried several ways to direct grill on mine to no avail, now I use another grill for searing. Either my kettle, akorn or santa maria.

I know this doesn't directly answer your question...but I have a MAK 1 Star and can kind of speak to your question. IMO pellet poopers make awesome smokers/wood fired ovens. They do not make for a good grill. Even if you can get your temp up to 450°, it's only in the center of your grill, and IMO pretty hard on your smoker from wear-n-tear perspective.

I totally disagree with this, my Cookshack PG500 is an awesome grill and is designed for high heat grilling.:caked:

I do agree that you do have to be wise on which grills you use for high heat grilling and I don't believe traeger would be a good choice.

I totally disagree with this, my Cookshack PG500 is an awesome grill and is designed for high heat grilling.:caked:

I do agree that you do have to be wise on which grills you use for high heat grilling and I don't believe traeger would be a good choice.

In all fairness, I have never cooked on a PG500. I have watched a number of videos, and would agree...they do appear to be one of the few pellet grills that can actually grill. The Memphis is another one that comes to mind...oh yeah, and the Yoder as well. These units are built to withstand the heat, and allow the cook to easily expose the meat to direct flame. With that said though, I am still not fond of being restricted to direct flame cooking ONLY over the fire pot. When I grill, I want to be able to grill over the entire grate surface when needed. Just my 2 pennies worth ;-)

We have a Yoder YS640. Recently, we decided to try out the Grill Grates, purchased with the unit. After having to remove the diffusion plate so as to expose the fire pot, those Grates really heated up, and over their whole surface, not just the small area above the pot. I don't know how hot they actually got but it was damned hot.....plenty good for grilling. I expected drippings to foul the fire pot area but the Grill Grates prevented this from occurring, which was a real relief.

But, there is no real reason for us to use the Yoder as a grill when we have a BGE three feet from it. If one lacks a grill, the Yoder will certainly fill this role, though.

Thanks for all the responses. During the winter the traeger goes in the garage when it's not used and the charcoal grill is on the back patio covered. It makes reverse searing steaks a PITA to have to go back and forth and I was looking for a way to just use my traeger to sear on a few times.

Been thinking about a YS 640 upgrade in a year or two. Going to be hard to swing that one past the wife because I want the comp cart and goodies.

Maybe buy a Weber Jumbo Joe for now. Easily carried to and from the garage for reverse searing. Can set it on the ground right next to the traeger. Another possible option is to place a small cast iron griddle on the traeger and set your temp to 400+. Let it preheat and sear directly on the CI. That should do a decent job without all the hassle of removing hot metal plates etc.

Back