THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah, I usually pull my brisket off at 203 (but really anything between 201 - 206 should be fine). Even with just the flat, as long as you properly trimmed it leaving about 1/4 inch or so of fat cap on the flat, you need to get above that 200 degree mark to get that fat cap and all the collagen to really render properly. And letting it rest for an appropriate length of time is really important. Even if you don't have a hotbox/warm box, sit it in an empty igloo chest cooler wrapped in butcher paper, followed by foil and finally towels (dish towels, tea towels, a beach towel, etc., to fill up the empty space). If using the igloo method, I would only give it a couple minutes before wrapping it, in the butcher paper, and if you have it, pour some rendered fat onto that butcher paper (wagyu beef tallow works wonders if you have it).

If you have a proper warm/hot box, I would leave the foil off.

Ah shoot, I had already wrapped it and placed in my warming drawer before I read your post. I'm assuming you are right about the bark. I'll find out how it came out tomorrow when I slice some for lunch. I'll make sure I handle the next flat as you mentioned (let it come down in temp before wrapping). I have neighbors who want me to smoke a brisket for them, so this was sort of a test run for this method. Thanks again for the information.
Any update? I think a few of us are curious how it turned out. I know im curious because i never asked you if you were doing select, choice, or prime. Its been awhile since ive done anything below prime since Sams in my area sells prime for not much more then choice.
Anyway, let us know.

Back