THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't recall if someone asked you this already, but does the food taste any different coming off the drums then it did on the Backwoods? I hear that's one of the other main reasons people like the drums.

Yes it does taste different. "Smokier" with a little firmer bark I'd say. Backwoods being a water cooker they are just different. So I'm not saying the flavor is better on my drums vs backwoods vs stick burners, it's just different.

Jason,

Great looking food! What rub and sauce did you use for the chicken?

Not that I have many secrets for our process, but I will say that yardbird/cim docs/zero to hero/3eyz, etc would all be awesome and give a very similar results along with pic you popular sauce. It was not blues hog though :becky:.

I don't recall if someone asked you this already, but does the food taste any different coming off the drums then it did on the Backwoods? I hear that's one of the other main reasons people like the drums.
More of an open pit type flavor from the fat dripping onto the coals.

Note: former backwoods fatboy and humphreys pint owner

Just curious - I see you've done comp practice drumsticks a few times now...I assume you prefer those over thighs? They've got to be easier to prep. I keep forcing myself to do thighs but I hate it. Just picked up another 16 I gotta prep for one night this week...probably take me about 90 minutes to do, if I'm lucky. :roll:

Just curious - I see you've done comp practice drumsticks a few times now...I assume you prefer those over thighs? They've got to be easier to prep. I keep forcing myself to do thighs but I hate it. Just picked up another 16 I gotta prep for one night this week...probably take me about 90 minutes to do, if I'm lucky. :roll:

Thighs still seem to win more, but we've been doing legs for a few years now and have had success. I had thighs down to about 2mins a thigh. Once we hit with legs we didn't really look back. We don't compete enough now for us to be statistically relevant so the small handful of scores we will get won't tell a true story to make decisions on what to change :loco:. And sometimes ignorance is bliss :becky:

I'm surprised that your Hunsaker puts out such great looking food. I thought the blue model was supposed to be the one to get. :wink:

Back