THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
I definitely lose creativity points, but these turned out pretty good. Bought four packages of whole wings, thought there were ten in each package, but one was only nine. So, trimmed them down to 78 wing parts, marinated half in Italian Dressing, with Season Salt and Black Pepper, cause some of my friends are wimps. The other half was olive oil and Slap Ya Mama Spicy. Took along a bottle of Habanero sauce in case someone wanted to kick it up.

Fired up the WSCG to above 300* for about the first 40 mins, then kicked it into Turbo after the parts were temping above 140*. At one point, it was over 600* and I was watching the skin blister. Turned out pretty good...

B6340C2D-2878-47A2-9514-364612ABA1E1_zpshyk79sg1.jpg

Spicy on the bottom grate so they wouldn't drip on the wimpy wings.

7F8725F2-A127-4D21-BF16-D3AD418A7166_zpsqggs3wyo.jpg

Wimpy done first, hotter on that top grate.

96166AFD-218C-4AC0-93B1-BD1934AE7A05_zps9gjgaxqp.jpg

Spicy done about 5 mins later...

73C0B448-C58F-4D5D-AACB-1D08456E3EB5_zpszhghht1g.jpg

Thanks for watching...

I don't care how many wing threads I see because I never get tired. Looks awesome Terry!

Thanks y'all. I need to try this technique the next time I do thighs and see if the skin turns out as good on those as it did on the wings. Almost like they were fried...

I'm with Sako never too many wings threads for me either. Those look great Terry!

Thanks for posting, can't get enough wing threads either.

One reason I bought my over and under was to be able to smoke enough wings for the family. I did 15 pounds of them twice so far and there was only a couple left over each time.

They turned out good, except the skin was a little rubbery, next time I'll have to pull them early like you did and try to sear them in the firebox or the kettle

Last edited:
Exactly what determines done/not done for you?
Ed

When it comes to chicken, I go by temp. I know chicken is safe at 165*, but I think dark meat needs to go higher. I was looking for anything 180* or over. I do have to say that I stepped inside, got sidetracked, came back out, knew when I opened the lid that the top batch was done, probed them any ways and saw up to 200*, immediately grabbed them off. Those on the bottom were not there yet, so they took longer. That four inch higher top grate gets a lot hotter I guess. Going to do thighs up there next time to see if I can get that crispy skin again.

That's a bunch of fine looking wings, Terry! Wish I had a nice plate of those for lunch today instead of the boring sammich I ate.

Back