THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just some issues I came up with while watching the video

1:you said that you will honour the judging certifications from other organizations and they will not have to take the class. Well wouldn't you want those ones specifically to take the class? They will have their own idea of what to use as a criteria based on their previous judging experience.

2: Where is the prize money coming from, if there is any? No people=no sponsors=no money. If it's coming straight from the entry fee then what's the purse? Less then other comps with bigger cheques and you aren't gonna have anyone showing up.

3: The give it to god cup? That gross.

4: I started with 1 hour turn in Windows in the pnwba and let me tell you I struggle to find stuff to do for 45 of those 60 minutes. Let's get in and get out.

5: how long does it take to tabulate the scores? Gonna be there for a while with just the data entry of the 7 sections.

6: I know you 'good ol boys' down south love you some 'Mercia but that logo really ties you be being a national thing not a world thing.

7. On the same level as the last concern, tough to crown a world championship when all the events are really regional. It would be tough to even call the winder of the whole thing a national champion.

8. You fight and win and get to go to the finals based on the judging of trained judges and then the finals you just get cooks from teams 11-20? How about you take the best judges and use them. You made an analogy to sports playoffs, imagine the NBA finals is the Cavs vs Spurs and the refs for the 7 game most important series is players from the two teams that lost in the conference finals, not actual refs.

Now with all that said I'm not completely dismissing it but there are some things that still need to be thought through I think. If any new format takes over I think the Geunie pig is the best candidate.

Progressive Tables

Have you thought about progressive tables similar to IBCA to take away some of the "similar" judging on some tables? You might have to require larger turn in portions though if you still pick up the food.

Not a fan of "progressive tables", our experience with them is the delay in judging AND...if you have a table with all the best entries...ie..highest scores, there is only a percentage of them that move on to "final table". We have seen multiple entries with higher scores than those that make it to "final Table".

Our approach is to have consistent Judge training, and the 7 criteria to break-down each entry into the components that make up Winning BBQ. It's all about the feed-back to cooks, and the only way you get that is by giving detailed analytical reviews. The sport has gone past a 1 or 3 number evaluation.... just our thoughts.

Thanks for the reply.

I was thinking moving to a final table based on scores, not a percentage of the initial table.

I agree with not needing another sanctioning body. Judging will have the same issues everywhere. How mad are you going to get when you get knocked down on one scorecard for being "to tender/overdone" and then the next one "to tough/underdone". Is that really going to help? could happen in any of the judging categories. to sweet, to spicy, to salty, no salt, appearance to dry/ to saucy. sounds like just another way to drive you mad.

8. You fight and win and get to go to the finals based on the judging of trained judges and then the finals you just get cooks from teams 11-20? How about you take the best judges and use them. You made an analogy to sports playoffs, imagine the NBA finals is the Cavs vs Spurs and the refs for the 7 game most important series is players from the two teams that lost in the conference finals, not actual refs.

I think a lot of the ideas are good, but I can't imagine the logistics of getting this to work. How many people who finish 11-20th are going to WANT to judge the invitational? Are you going to pay for their trip? I love cooking bbq, but I can't imagine traveling to another state on my dime to judge something. I know there are a lot of judges that do, and I'm happy for it. It's just hard to imagine cooks doing it, especially after narrowly missing out on being top 10 themselves.

What are the "best judges"? The ones the teams all like because all they do is give top scores? The truly honest ones?

Jeff.

All the respect in the world for you brother, but I have to agree with Brad from gettinbasted. We need unification. This sport that we love has too many sanctioning bodies. If we don't like the rules of the sanctioning bodies the we compete under, we have to speak up and work together to change them.

Some may remember.. BBQ Brethren did this. Good luck.. Get blood pressure pills, xanax and a suit of armor.

65354229.jpg

Jeff.

All the respect in the world for you brother, but I have to agree with Brad from gettinbasted. We need unification. This sport that we love has too many sanctioning bodies. If we don't like the rules of the sanctioning bodies the we compete under, we have to speak up and work together to change them.

if you only knew how many attempts have been made to move in this direction... Change is met with resistance at every turn and this kind of change is "cook centered".. it's letting the market decide... if it's going to survive, it will be because the market allowed it.

Resistance is an understatement. The level of strongarm pettiness from the big players will be mind boggling.

Already seeing it my friend... and it will be interesting to navigate these waters. I always get a chuckle out of reactions from the "establishment"... what is shows is where people's hearts are, regardless of what they are saying. True motives are seldom voiced, but constantly communicated. We're not in this for anything other than helping cooks improve their professional BBQ cooking results. Everything we are putting out there is factored against this mission. It will succeed or fail as God sees fit, in our hearts, we just want to help cooks and that motivation seems to be lost by the "establishment" organizations.

Love to have your help, guidance and support along the way.

I think healthy competition is a good thing. In the end more competitions and more options is a good thing for the cooks. There are several changes I want to see from KCBS. These, however, are not them. That is part of the problem. Different groups of people want different things out of the competition experience. It gets hard to please them all.

I think healthy competition is a good thing. In the end more competitions and more options is a good thing for the cooks. There are several changes I want to see from KCBS. These, however, are not them. That is part of the problem. Different groups of people want different things out of the competition experience. It gets hard to please them all.

Out of curiosity, what are the changes you'd like to see?
As a newer member to competitive BBQ, I love hearing the opinions of (much) more experienced cooks.

Back