THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bummed! :sad:

Not sure we are going to do any with the economy, but it was going to be hard no to do this one. It's about 1/2 mile from my house. Had a real good time the last couple years and met some really nice people there. Guess now we'll be looking at Nevada or State Center. I guess I got spoiled the last couple of years with it being so close. Hopefully they'll be back next year.
Well, they are both good contest. Nevada is moving to the campround this year so the location should be better. Only thing in State Center I didn't like was the people expecting you to provide them samples. And when I say expecting I mean almost grabbing it of the smoker.

Well, they are both good contest. Nevada is moving to the campround this year so the location should be better. Only thing in State Center I didn't like was the people expecting you to provide them samples. And when I say expecting I mean almost grabbing it of the smoker.

I know what you mean. We cooked there in 2006 and it was our first contest. Trains were a pain, but Daryl put on a good contest. We had people walking through our spot and setting their stuff down on our tables. I had to ask a few people to stop putting their drinks on the hood of my truck. The guy next to me (Smokey Joel I believe) gave me some CAUTION tape and that helped a little.

That was also the first contest where we met BBQ Mayor and Shotgun!

Nevada moving = sweet!:) Although I work in Nevada and I can't figure out where a campground is.:oops: Is it south of New 30?

I know what you mean. We cooked there in 2006 and it was our first contest. Trains were a pain, but Daryl put on a good contest. We had people walking through our spot and setting their stuff down on our tables. I had to ask a few people to stop putting their drinks on the hood of my truck. The guy next to me (Smokey Joel I believe) gave me some CAUTION tape and that helped a little.

That was also the first contest where we met BBQ Mayor and Shotgun!
My first contest was there in 2007. Learned a ton from Rob at Munchin Hogs at the Hilton.

Trains and BBQ contest somehow go hand it hand it seems.

Ankeny cancelled due to lack of sponsorship...Rumor is Marshalltown is struggling too. I'm crossing my fingers though!

Ankeny cancelled due to lack of sponsorship...Rumor is Marshalltown is struggling too. I'm crossing my fingers though!
I was at the last Iowa BBQ meeting and Marshalltown is still a go without question.

Did you sign up to be an IBS member? If you are doing four contes in the state, you should if you have not already so you can be entered for team of the year. You have to be in before 5/1.

I was at the last Iowa BBQ meeting and Marshalltown is still a go without question.

Did you sign up to be an IBS member? If you are doing four contes in the state, you should if you have not already so you can be entered for team of the year. You have to be in before 5/1.

So you have to register for four contests before 5/1, or be an IBS member?

This past weekend I attended the KCBS certified judging class in Des Moines and Lew Miller was there. He is the host of the Iowa State Barbque Championship and said that they just posted (last friday) the registration forms for the 2009 contest. He was extremely excited about it and was recruiting from the judges from the 70 new ones that were there. In no way did I get the feeling that they were struggling.

He also mentioned that they were working with two additional communities in Iowa to get two more KCBS sanctioned events, I don't know if they woudl be State Championships or not, but I found that to be good news especially in light of the Ankeny DU cancellation.

Not that anyone has asked or cares ... but I'm going to tell ya anyway - our IA schedule includes:
BBQlossal
Marshalltown
W'loo
La Porte
Waucoma

So you have to register for four contests before 5/1, or be an IBS member?

This past weekend I attended the KCBS certified judging class in Des Moines and Lew Miller was there. He is the host of the Iowa State Barbque Championship and said that they just posted (last friday) the registration forms for the 2009 contest. He was extremely excited about it and was recruiting from the judges from the 70 new ones that were there. In no way did I get the feeling that they were struggling.

He also mentioned that they were working with two additional communities in Iowa to get two more KCBS sanctioned events, I don't know if they woudl be State Championships or not, but I found that to be good news especially in light of the Ankeny DU cancellation.

You have to be a member of the Iowa BBQ Society by 5/1.

It sounds like Mitchellville is trying for sanctioning on 9/13. I have never organized a contest, but I think it has to be approved by KCBS 90 days prior to the date.

yea a xtra lrg egger adding with the fec100..... wanted to get pics before i said :p ok i couldn't wait lol.

thought i heard waterloo was not going this year? or have wrong rumors??

Hey brew where ya been hiding

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup.

Not hiding, just busy as all hell at work. Plus, I'm trying to find a new trailer for this season.

Yeah I'm a card carring member...I really need to find the time to go to the meetings...We helped out at the judging class so I feel a little better!
I listed my schedule on my blog(shameless plug mod) Spanky and the meat mafia.blogspot.com
The plan is to do about 6-7 iowa contests, unless I run out of money or get too busy working.

My schedule is on my blog as well. Looking to pick up two more contest. Maybe Min in May and probably River City Roundup in NE.

I think the comp level is going to be sky high in Iowa. Lots of great teams week end week out.

I know that Nevada is going to happen, but was approached by a member of the Lincolnway Days committee to discuss the area. I told them that I'm not the organizer of this and they know, but want a competitors advice on the location of the event. The campground in question is the 4H grounds, which is used by the carneys. We will see might be in the same spot.

Back