THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beautiful sandwich Bob. I never tire of looking at your cooks. Curious now. How many times did you change out the water when soaking?
I had it completely covered for 4 hours, then dumped. Then covered for 12 hours, then dumped and then more water for 12 hours, then more dumping, then 12 more hours. I am going to try doing a cold brine, maybe even not use pink salt and see if I can get the salt a little lower.

My new plan, take some Simply Marvelous, a little more salt and some spices, cook into a brine and then inject the bejeebers out of a brisket, then put in baggie and hold for one week.

I am gonna but the briskets tomorrow, I am going to make the brine tonight. Maybe I should make two, one with SM and one with PB. Hmmm...pork pastrami?

That looks great. I just bought a flat to try the same thing. What temp did you pull it off the smoker?
I also bought a point to grind up and make some rueben burgers.

I pulled it when probe tender, I took it a lot longer than most folks do. I cook it just like brisket. I did not measure it right away, but, it was around 190F after being off the cooker for 15 minutes.

It was to me, part of the issue is that I cut my sodium intake back to less than 1200 mgs most days. And normally I cook with just a small amount of salt. So things like lunch meat, corned beef, canned soup and many prepared sauces are too salty for me. I love the texture and underlying flavor of corned beef and pastrami, but, the salt burns.

That looks great!! I need to try Pastrami...Can someone send me how they do it from start to finish??? Or send me to a thread that gives instructions/how to??

Petey, the way I do it is the easy way, I buy a corned beef, soak it in clean water for 24 to 48 hours, you will need to change the water a few times, with the first time happening after an hour. Then I dry it, rub it with a pepper and spice rub and then smoke it. The best instruction would be here. It is written by a member here, Thirdeye.

I have found if you put a cut up potato in the water when soaking it draws out more salt. I used a couple and changed them when changing water. I kept the taters and boiled them for mashed taters with dinner.

Back