THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CookinAt225

Name or Nickame
~
So I was in my 20s and had a good friend who called me up and asked if I would like to help him cook at a bbq competition down in the west bottoms. Sure, why not right? I didn't have a job and staying up all night stoking a fire seemed like a great way to pass the time. Looking back on it now, that was a really amazing experience. My first ever BBQ competition was the American Royal. Wow right? But at the time, I didn't think much of it, I was just there helping out my buddy Mark. Social networking isn't what it is now, so I didn't really have an opportunity to keep in touch with all of the amazing people I met there. But I did learn quite a few things and found the people to be very friendly (even more so when everyone got to partying, lol). Maybe one day I'll go back? Has anyone been up to where it's at now, at the Nascar track? I've been up there once for the Hollywood 400.

I've been to both locations as a spectator and I think that the Kansas Speedway is a much better location logistically, though it might lack some of the "character" from the West Bottoms. I'm sure there are Brethren here that have cooked at both and can comment through that lens but getting in to and out of the Speedway was muuuuch easier as a spectator.

I have been to the Royal once as a judge when it was at Arrowhead Stadium. I enjoyed the experience. BUT, it was good and bad. I have never made much time to go meet teams because when I go to a competition I am leaving my love with 3 to 6 kids for 6 to 9 hours depending on travel distance. I ate some of the best pork I have ever eaten. I ate some brisket that was turned it to avoid a no score...burnt, dry and sauced to make it paletable. That is my only story.

I've helped cook at all three locations.

West Bottoms - lots of character, terrible parking. It was hard for spectators to come in and enjoy themselves because parking was impossible to find. I seem to remember teams being shoved into every little tiny corner imaginable. It was a cool atmosphere - everyone was so close together that you had to get to know your neighbors

Arrowhead - Easy load in/load out for competitors. The walk to judging was horrible though - if I remember correctly, it was like 12 minutes from our spot to the turn in tables. You had to walk up the turnstyles into the stadium for turn ins. It was bonkers. Parking again was a nightmare. Arrowhead is basically enclosed with a giant circle of roads that all go one way. We had reserved passes for special parking and got told that the lots were full when we got there - only to pass them by and see empty row after empty row. We also had friends that came without passes and kept getting redirected around the stadium to the next entrance - bless their hearts, they were in the car for like 2 hours. They separated the "party" teams from everyone else, so lots of our friends were a 20-30 minute walk around Arrowhead. The awards were cool and obviously plenty of seating for everyone.

Kansas Speedway - Not sure about load in/load out for competitors. I imagine it's a little more of a pain, however. There's only one tunnel in and out of the infield at the speedway. Parking for spectators is easy-peasy as mentioned above. Having the competition on the infield makes for great viewing and photo ops when you come into the speedway from parking - you are looking down over 500 teams. My buddy's spot is really close to turn ins, so someone else will have to speak to how that is. I have judged there and it's like a giant carnival/madhouse. 500 volunteers - judges, reps, TCs, etc. all in one building is just crazy!

Brad can probably add some additional flavor from the competitors side of things.

i have cooked all three.

West bottoms was a blast. It had a ton of character, a ton of history...and it outgrew the spot. They kept shoving you in every corner they could find, and it had to give eventually.

Arrowhead was actually my favorite location. Some of that has to do with it being about 10 minutes from home. Some of it has to do with if they had a second chance I believe it could have been the perfect spot. Everyone in town knows how to get there. For out of towners it's right off of 2 main interstates. There is parking for days if they use it correctly. The walk to turn ins was a joke, but they could have moved that as well. It was probably also the easiest in/out we have experienced.

There were also issues with it. Were the Chiefs always going to play an away game that weekend every year? Would they agree to that? That's also playoff baseball time which wouldn't matter now, but the year it was here the Royals won the World Series. And playoffs don't move for anyone, generally speaking.

I didn't like the idea of the Speedway when it started. I was vehemently opposed to it going to Kansas. I take state lines seriously. Then we did it. Load in is usually easy for us since we come in Wednesday, but load out is a joke. As mentioned there is one way in and out and everyone is trying to leave at the same time. We have generally taken the "drink a beer and wait for everything to die down" approach and it's fine, just sets us back an hour.

That said, it's a great venue. Plenty of parking, plenty of space for the event to expand, RV hookups for certain spots...I've grown to accept and enjoy it. I just wish it was in MO.

Back