THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Congrats to Smitty (Loot N' Booty) on getting called for RGC at the biggest event of them all ...

behold, the power of The Brethren ... and the West Coast Offense

Great job to everyone else that walked

You must have to read deep into the rules to figure out how to sort out a 15 way tie breaker.

Not really, the sixth judge's score is the first tiebreaker and then it is computer draw for final order. I would guess that at least a handful of the 180's got 999's from the sixth judge as well.

In any case, the dessert category at the Royal is extremely competitive and winning it is a major accomplishment. Congrats!

Yes, congrats to everyone who got called! The awards are so much fun to see all those teams get even more excited than normal to have their names called.

I must humbly say that I have absolutely zero to do with the dessert other than starting up the chubby for here to bake in. Erin had been on a zero for a million streak this year and had been making tweaks to try to get back to winning. The top 3 desserts were all "perfect perfect" 180s and luckily they called us last :-D. I've never seen her so happy and it made our trip.

Gonna post up our experience when we get back. Congrats again to everyone. It was a lot of fun.

Congrats to everyone who got a call! While we didn't, we were still pleased with getting 50th in Sausage, plus 163rd in chicken and 162nd in pork. I figure it equates to roughly top 15 in any other comp (given the size of the field, and the percentage we beat), and for us, that's a great showing.

fnbish, we were seated the row in front of you, and while I didn't realize it was a brethren, it was awesome to see how excited the two of you were.

I seem to remember a couple years ago something that could take the scores, and break them down into roughly the scores from the 5 judges that counted. I don't remember much, other than it existed, somewhere. Google is of no help. Does anyone know anything about this? I'm too impatient to wait to get our scores.

Another great contest in the books. It was a happy time being an Ambassador again.

I am really proud of all our Minnesota teams and how well they did.

Big shouts and jumping up and down to Sons of Butchers for 5th overall. No calls but a 698 score!
Very happy for Tony and Steve with Dipstix who were 16th overall. Had a great time with you guys.
And of course our friends at Shiggin and Grinnin for 20th overall - another great showing from
guys who know how to have fun and cook great Q at the same time. Way to go!

What an achievement for any one who got a call and walked.

This was our first AR - and plan to be back. Did well with Chicken and Ribs, tanked the others. Our spot was next to the invitational winner and it was pretty neat to see them enjoy their victory.

Congrats to all that walked.

Midwest KC - scores by category are on Royal site under Open results.

And yes a while ago they listed in the same place the 6 judges individual scores in the same place. Really wish they would do that again. All of us would like to see that.

Yeah, I saw that, but the individual judges scores they mail out, but I'm impatient. I was hoping to get a close answer, but it's not a huge deal. I just always get antsy not knowing. I understand that it would be near impossible to give them out there given the size of the comp, but I wish they could do something like putting online quickly. Oh well, so it goes.

This was my first time competing at the Royal! What an amazing experience - I think I will be back!

You sure? Haha. Great weekend you guys had. Congrats.

That was the quickest I've seen anyone get down the bleachers when you all took chicken on the invitation. Nice work

In any case, the dessert category at the Royal is extremely competitive and winning it is a major accomplishment. Congrats!

First year for us at The Royal and I would have to say the biggest disappointment was the side dishes and dessert categories.

First of all to just get a ribbon for first place is weak.......too much time, effort, and money invested to get a ribbon. Sausage is worth it as you get the sweet big Royal trophy that the KCBS categories get.

As for dessert specifically........I'm VERY glad to hear a team that actually cooked their entry won. We personally saw NUMEROUS teams unboxing store bought desserts IN THE TURN IN BUILDING and no one said a word. Also looking at stuff people were carrying around it was obvious that much of it was bought and not home made.

The cooks meeting stated you could bring your dessert from home but it couldn't be store bought LOL.........what is the point of judging desserts people made in their kitchen or restaurant at home??

I can't imagine why or how anyone could take pride in an award they got for an item they bought and turned in. Weird.

Besides, isn't this a COOKING contest??

LOL...........anyways, we had an incredible time and met some great people as well and managed to turn in some good food of our own.

Congrats on the dessert win as I'm glad it was at least cooked by you.

Back