THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beaz

Knows what WELOCME spells.
Name or Nickame
Mama's Cherry Cutwood
Grill/Smoker and Little Brat is what we are planning to use for Chicken and Beef. I'm going to try the little brat first with a fistful of cherrywood. I've been advised that chicken is like a sponge therefore I must monitor it. Don't want it tasting like smoke. It's going to be interesting I can say that for sure. Amnesiac relearning life skills and what better way!
20240523_080748.jpg

If you're looking for advice, we need a bit more information. Chicken and beef covers a LOT. Is this whole chicken or cut up, boneless, etc.? Is the beef a steak or a roast or hamburgers?

Everything cooks differently. As a general rule, the thinner the meat, the hotter you want you grill and the faster you cook. If I'm doing a thin steak, I want that puppy up as hot as it'll go and maybe sear a couple minutes a side. If I'm cooking a roast, I'll want much lower temps down to maybe 220* and I might cook for over 12 hours. This makes sense if you think about it. In many ways your smoker is like an oven. You don't cook a turkey at 400* or it'll be black on the outside and cold in the middle.

I'm guessing you know the very basics, how to get those things to turn on and can adjust the temperature.

Welcome to the best darn forum on the Internet. I agree that chicken can absorb too much smoke, so depending on what you are cooking (whole vs. parts), you may want to pan it then cover it in foil after the initial smoke period.
You will find some unique language and terminology used here, that is because a few folks may be using work computers and certain key words may trigger site blockers, thus disabling access for those folks.
Have fun here, ask lots of questions and post lots of pictures.

Back