THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kalbi

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Brian
Newbie here, just posted in the "Cattle Call" forum and did a short introduction. My neighbor was getting rid of his old 25 or 28 gallon air compressor and I thought it would be a good smoker, but I've never smoked before, so what do I know...

I'm done doing all the fittings and I'm ready to take the fittings off, do a final wire brushing, and then paint it with rattle can header paint before "seasoning" And was wondering if I had enough exhaust and air intake.

It has:
- One 1" full port ball valve air intake
- Four 1/2" exhaust ports (90 degree)

It also has two threaded fittings on the lid. One is perfect for the thermometer so is seemed a waste not to use it as such, and one 1/4" one I plan to use for digital meat thermometer.

I'll also be using smoker gaskets on the lid and the steel bar I welded around the bottom.

Any thoughts? I've got thick skin.

- Brian

I'd imagine that setup should work just fine. It might be a good idea to elevate your basket from your ash pan to help with airflow. A few bolts and washers could give your basket some feet. Other than that I say go for it and see how it burns.

It looks pretty cool , but I think you're going to need more exhaust , on my UDS I'm running a 2.5" exhaust and it cruises along at 225° for about 16 hours on a load of charcoal

Welcome to the forum. Looks like it will work. I would suggest mounting the motor back on the top, paint it to it's original compressor color and mount a coiled hose to it with regulator and then cook that brisket,.. but that's just me. :biggrin1: Looking forward to seeing how it works out.

Thanks for the ideas...plan on getting it done this weekend if I just don't sit around looking while drinking and thinking...
It might be a good idea to elevate your basket from your ash pan to help with airflow. A few bolts and washers could give your basket some feet.
I was thinking about that. Right now it rests on a grate sitting on the ash catcher from my old Weber. I'm thinking of using metal rods that would both be used as feet on the bottom and hold a diffuser on the top. Any idea of how high above the the basket the diffuser shoudl be?

...I think you're going to need more exhaust l
Thanks, I'm going to add one more exhaust...maybe two.

I would suggest mounting the motor back on the top, paint it to it's original compressor color and mount a coiled hose to it with regulator...
I was thinking same thing, but the motor makes the lid way too heavy. But I did keep the regulator, collector, pressure relief, and pressure dials that I may use later. Definitely gonna be rattle can red in homage to Craftsman.

Had a productive Sunday and got the smoker all painted and did a seasoning smoke on it for 4 hours...had to shut it down...too much to drink and it was getting late. I added eye bolts to the basket to act as let...sits up about 2" now. Burn went well...kept it a about 250 most of the time. Below is a pic of what was left in the basket (it was filled little less than half way and added some hickory chunks).

I've got a some dumb questions to ask before I try smoking for the first time :icon_blush:

smoker2_zpsvckrsbzs.jpg

basket_zpssb3vjs40.jpg

Back